Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

What am I doing wrong?? HELP!

Dready Mawma
@dready-mawma
14 years ago
7 posts
I started my dreads 8 months ago. It seemed like a good idea. Being a travelling kid and living in the woods, I didn't really see a point in NOT dreading them. Then I got the dreaded dready helmet (no pun intended lol). So I cut them apart. However, as much as they want to connect to each other, I can't seem to get them to tighten up individually. I wash them about twice a week and palm them afterward. I refuse to use anything in them, and I don't want to 'crochet' them, as I've heard this is very damaging to dreads. What am I doing wrong? How I get them to roll right, or am I just being impatient??
updated by @dready-mawma: 02/04/18 12:58:45AM
IllumiKnotty
@illumiknotty
14 years ago
212 posts
aww i am jealous ! you are living THE GOOD LIFE. miss mah travelin' days.anyway.. your hair used to be straight? straight hair dreads slower.
momma has dreads
@momma-has-dreads
14 years ago
159 posts
You sound much like my son (Tate), traveling and living in the woods, check out his dreads on my page, natural, his hair was pretty curly so they dreaded up nicely. He has had them for six years now, he has been cutting off a few at a time (God know why?**&%$#) so now he has a few. I kept some of his cut off ones, keeping them with his first hair cut when he was like 1 yrs old, in his baby book....a mom thing.....any way be patient, they look as though they are seriously looking at becoming dreads and on their way.peace
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
dont cut them apart rip then to seperste cutting does alot of damagedont palm roll either just a total wasteseperate by pulling in oposite directions if real bad work a finger inder a few hairs at a time and pull up till they break or come loose repeat till u can seperate right to the scalpkeep seperating often..thats it they'kll tighten up fast when u treat em right probably the cutting did u alotta harmas long as u seperate em they'll form nice tight locks soon

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh a pic dont \keep em tied up too much that will only encourage em to grow into 1 big mess

--
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
well least you said they are separating ok, and it looks like from the pic given you have alot of sections forming, I think ur doing alright really, I think by your 12months mark especially your worries might be gone.
Dready Mawma
@dready-mawma
14 years ago
7 posts
Alright, thanks guys! i guess I was just being impatient! I keep seeing people with seemingly really nice dreads that have only been working on them for a very short time and got disheartened. I didn't know that the processes they used would make their dreads fall out. I'm glad I stuck to my guns about doing them naturally.I didn't want to cut them. I literally spent hours in pain and tears trying to rip them apart, but they were too connected, some by an entire dread in between. The price I paid for keeping them tied back too often. I was worried that cutting them would destroy them, but they seemed to hold up pretty well. My hair was SUPER straight when I started, so I guess a little patience is in order. Thanks for the encouragement, I guess I just forgot that EVERYTHING comes out alright in the end.... even hair :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
u just needed a hug :)group hugs

--
Dready Mawma
@dready-mawma
14 years ago
7 posts
lol, thanks, loving you guys!!! soaringeagle said: