Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Have I ruined my dreadlocks?

RagguhMuffyn
@ragguhmuffyn
14 years ago
12 posts
I've had my dreads for about a year and unfortunatly I have severly damaged them. I kept dying my dreads and they feel really unhealthy. They feel dry and corse. Is there anything I can do to repair themat all or should I just leave them alone. I didn't realize how bad of shape they were in until I used the baking soda wash and rinse stuff. Could that have anything to do with how they are now? Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.
updated by @ragguhmuffyn: 02/14/15 05:37:15AM
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
The baking soda can make them feel dry if your scalp doesn't produce much oils. You could try something like cocoa butter or if you are really worried about the dying since your dreads are most likely mature already you can use the conditioner that comes with the dye.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
did u do the vinagar rince too?well some of the absolute best things u can do to treat them now wiould be aloe vitamin e and jojoba oilcocoa butter wiouldnt be bad eitherafter the bs the acv should normaly make em pretty soft and feel good but dying alot certainly can do s lot of harmtry those ..any or all (a really good thourough treatment probly would be 1 or 2 vitamin e pills cut open and use the oil inside or a lil of straight vitamin e oil if u can find ioy a glob of aloe and a small amout of jojoba (depending on hair lenghgth) 20-50 drops id guess start with less if its nit enough try more..if u put that all in a lil glass and put the glass in hot warer so the oils and everythings hot whenh awpplied it might penetrate deeperor add cocoa butter to s rincetru em for 2 weeks and see how well it recovers

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yes olive oils cheap and wonderful tooin facy olive oil and johoba are great together

--
RagguhMuffyn
@ragguhmuffyn
14 years ago
12 posts
Before I was using the Dr. Broners shampoo and they never felt this dry. They felt softer and not as stiff. But since I used the other stuff I've noticed that they kinda feel like horse hair corse and dry and stiff. My hair wasn't in the best of shape when I started dreading. Won't the conditioner with the dye leave residue? I used the vinagar rinse after the baking soda, but I haven't gotten any cocoa butter or anything to add to it other than the oils. Typically, I have really oil hair. I'll definatly try what you suggested. Oh and I've been wondering what an acv? breeze said:
I didn't realize how bad of shape they were in until I used the baking soda wash and rinse stuff.
How did this show u how bad they were? Are they brittle? breaking off?I have added a little olive oil to mine when they were really dry feeling...Peace & Love
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
acv apple cider vinager RagguhMuffyn said:
Before I was using the Dr. Broners shampoo and they never felt this dry. They felt softer and not as stiff. But since I used the other stuff I've noticed that they kinda feel like horse hair corse and dry and stiff. My hair wasn't in the best of shape when I started dreading. Won't the conditioner with the dye leave residue? I used the vinagar rinse after the baking soda, but I haven't gotten any cocoa butter or anything to add to it other than the oils. Typically, I have really oil hair. I'll definatly try what you suggested. Oh and I've been wondering what an acv?

breeze said:
I didn't realize how bad of shape they were in until I used the baking soda wash and rinse stuff.
How did this show u how bad they were? Are they brittle? breaking off?
I have added a little olive oil to mine when they were really dry feeling...

Peace & Love

--
RagguhMuffyn
@ragguhmuffyn
14 years ago
12 posts
Awesomeness good to know =] Thank you all very much. soaringeagle said:
acv apple cider vinager

RagguhMuffyn said:
Before I was using the Dr. Broners shampoo and they never felt this dry. They felt softer and not as stiff. But since I used the other stuff I've noticed that they kinda feel like horse hair corse and dry and stiff. My hair wasn't in the best of shape when I started dreading. Won't the conditioner with the dye leave residue? I used the vinagar rinse after the baking soda, but I haven't gotten any cocoa butter or anything to add to it other than the oils. Typically, I have really oil hair. I'll definatly try what you suggested. Oh and I've been wondering what an acv?

breeze said:
How did this show u how bad they were? Are they brittle? breaking off?
I have added a little olive oil to mine when they were really dry feeling...

Peace & Love
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
Yes it will leave residues but it's meant to neutralize the active chemicals in the dye which also leaves more harmful residues.
Didjeridurian
@didjeridurian
14 years ago
292 posts
In nature, when parts of organisms are damaged beyond practical restoration, they are removed and grow back as long as regeneration of that part is possible. You could probably do all these complicated messy things or just cut the out and let them grow back. Now that you have learned what not to do you can be sure to have healthy natural beautiful dreads the next go around. Probably an unpopular suggestion but just my advice.
RagguhMuffyn
@ragguhmuffyn
14 years ago
12 posts
Thank you all very much. I went through and used olive oil, jojoba oil, vitamin e, and conditioner. Maybe a smidgen over board but, I mixed them all together. It was a weird texture, but it worked. They feel much healthier. And on top of that they smell gorgeous. I really appreciate all of the advice. I wish I had found this site when I started my dreadlocks.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form