Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

teach a teacher about dreads and dread wax

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
ok so today we had a member join who is a university teacher that teaches how to dread and recomends both wax and crochet
he also thinks lock peoppa and all other dreadheadhq and knotty boy products are good (but at least agrees interlockings bad)
his site sells the lock docta felting tool too which we all know is ultimate dread destruction
so
since he is responcible for educating the next generation of loctitions in uk lets at least try hard to teach him the right ways to dread so less people are harmed by waxy disasters

.keep it cilvil and freindly i know many of you may have emotionaly charged arguments aftyer losing dreads to wax but try to just keep it educational

especialy helpful is personal expertiences with each product and method

im going to stay out of it except to say ive only dreaded naturaly..no methods no maintenance no products
and mine are thriving 20 years later

how many of u lost dreads in 1st few years to dreadheadhq products or methods?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/14/15 04:44:58AM
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
You can always just ask the people who get mildew or mold if they waxed and use statistics to get the proof yourself. Most people are under the impression that you cant dread without wax or it will take longer without wax. Having experience with both I know this is purely myth.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
how about we just provide simple statisticshow many cut dreads due to wax and how many never waxed and still have dreads after decadesme wax free since the 80s still groing strong

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
oh i just looked closer it was a crochet hook not felting needle they sell as a "dread fixer" as aposed to the "dread docta" dreadheadhq sellsd that shreads dreads to peicescrochet maybe very bad for dreads but at least isnt as devastating as felting

--
Spider Feet
@spider-feet
14 years ago
458 posts
I will take into account that there are many people who want that manicured dreads look and aren't looking to keep them for a long time. I don't take issue with this, as long as they know what they are doing and as long as the information for healthy dreads is there for the people who want to keep their dreads for more than a few years.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
agrereed if they are made awayere that crochet and ewax greatly limmits the lifespan and are fine for a fashion lookbut they must be fukly aware that theyre dreads most likely wont lastand be aware of every problem with those products and methods and also more importantly be aware they are not neede4d or helpful..thats the biggest issue is when ppl are told that wax or crochet is the best or only way to go

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yes yes yes that is exactly the issue i have with salon dreads ..its all about looking good right away but the dreads end up being throw away dreads you woerk and work and work at making em look a certain wayy and then they either mold up and turn gross or break offthe whole salon dreasd philosophy is instant gratification at the sacrifice of longevity

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
HAHA YEA IVE SAID THE SAME EXACT THING IN ANOTHER THREADBUT I GUESS WE GOT THE WORD CANDLES Sister Rags said:
Yep, it sure is. The word "dreadlock" means so many different things that I wish there was a whole different word for those sectioned, groomed, every-dread-the-same "salon" dreads, as opposed to natural dreads.

--
Orange Clock
@orange-clock
14 years ago
72 posts
From the basis of how something might be controlled to look a certain way Waxing and crocheting are fine in moderation. That is if you like the feel of NASTY GREASY dreadlocks. If that doesn't bother you then the greasy smell might. The mustiness if you sweat will become unbearable and washing will irritate you as you realize that your hair will never feel clean. In fact you might hate your dreads but feel bad because others like them more than you do. All that work and money for sweet FA!Crocheting is fine if you like to continuously keep on with maintaining, I want freedom from my hair. I never had the patience to continue whilst simultaneously worrying about each loose hair.1% inspiration, 29% perspiration, 70% plagiarism= Genius (maybe not?)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
products dont assist thats only illusionbut the biggest problem i have is misinformation being spread is taken as hard core facts2 members are locticians (or former) 1 in floridas was liscenced by the state to get a dreading liscence u must take courses.. these cources never once mentioned the fact that dreads will form on theyre own..never was natural dreads mentioned at all only waxy crocheted messed up dreads..the other i think in england crocheted hers and many others she realized the harm she was doing and gave up her business ands started recomendeing new clients go natural instead (gotta respect that!)back to the harm misinformation doesjohny clean the master of liars who contracdicts absolutely everything he says now recomends the "lock docta" a felting needle to fix lumps loops and loose hairs he calls it "releasing" the lumps but thats just a code word for breaking hairshe gooes on to say dont worry if you completely destroy the dread you can reattach it with the same tool (but odviosly it'll br very very weak)he says everyone should do that to every lump (every dread in the worlds got lumps)he uses fear to scare you too if u got a lump your gonna look terible if you go natural your going to be ugly a social outcast and unemplotableso u must conform must have dreads without personality your dreads must have no lumps perfect bluny tips no loose hairs unaturaly tight roots no flat spots in fact they must be a predescribed size perfect 1 inch squaresthese are the only socisly acceptible dreadsmisinformation has lead to almost all people thionking theres no other way to dread but backcomb and waxsee thats what your teachhing in schools..ypur teaching lies nothing but liesjust so johny can make more moneyask any newby to dreads and they'll look at you confused and say what do u mean if i just dont comb ill get dreads? hows that happen?real dreading has become so misunderstood that most think its impossible to believe blike your describing magicyou told me your trying to promote a possitive image of dreads.. how are you promotong a possitive image by reinforcing the sterotype that real dreads are undesirable and only fake dreads acceoptible? Knottysleeves said:
I think "product-assisted dreads" is a good way of saying it (though a little wordy). Especially since many of us know from experience that dreads started with wax take a lot longer to lock up.
products donnt assist thats only illusion

--
 / 7

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form