Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Finally Have an Appointment with a Stylist

Brayden Pedigo
@jon-pedigo
14 years ago
1 posts
I finally made an appointment with a stylist in Indy to begin the process of getting dreads. My appointment is at 5:30 p.m. Friday. I say "begin" because the stylist wants to meet with me to discuss what's involved, cost, time, etc.I've decided that I want to go with the backcomb method vs. wax, even though my hair is somewhat straight. I guess I'll be interviewing the stylist Friday as much as he'll be talking to me.I have about 2-1/2 years growth, so I'll have some decent length, even knowing how much dreads shorten one's hair compared to being natural.Any advice about what I should ask the stylist?Wish me luck.Jon
updated by @jon-pedigo: 02/14/15 07:27:35AM
RippleInStillWater
@rippleinstillwater
14 years ago
16 posts
you should totally go natural. its the biggest mistake i made . salons dont care about you they just want your money. they'll feed you a bunch of BS
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
My advise would be to do it yourself. When I backcombed my hair it was about 7 inches long, it took over 16 hours. A stylist is not going to have the time or patience to do it right. When done too fast and too loose you get a lot of pain, a lot of lost hair, and the baby-dreads will usually completely unravel on you. Even if the stylist is willing to spend the love and time needed, It aint gonna be cheap boyoMost stylist use wax because a shabby backcombing job wont stay together without it. If you need wax to keep baby dreads together, then you were backcombed improperly.Do it yourself. Only you know how tough to go without hurting yourself and only you will have the patience to do it right. Buy a metal flea comb, have a buddy help you section it, and go to town. don't use wax, it is the most unnecessary and hassle filled dread product out there. Unless you want to live with waxy/sticky feeling, and looking, dreads; dreads that you have to spend hours and hours melting old wax out of every month; dreads that dont even lock up as fast as waxless dreads; dont use it.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
ask him what he does, if he said he must use certain methods or he can't guarantee you results, tell him its your hair/$
K E A Z
@k-e-a-z
14 years ago
58 posts
total do it ur self trust me iv been salon scammed.. bunch of losers
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
14 years ago
183 posts
dont waste your money on a salon!Just twist and rip. I did it to mine and my hair is stick straight and that worked perfect for me I have had mine 6 months and they are doing beautifully on their own!!! I haven't had to touch them since!Salons are a rip off, not intentionally but it takes so long for them to do one person that they have to charge a ton or they would lose money since they can't see others at the same time. You will regret the money you will have to spend on that... I looked into it when I first wanted dreads one girl I found is an avid wax user and total for the number of hours it would take it was going to total 1200$ ( thats right 1 thousand 2 hundred dollars!) 60$ an hour and about 20 hours of work! Insane!
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
If you're set on ignoring all this natural DIY advice, and really want the stylist to help, then I'd suggest letting the stylist section your hair, but to do the dreading yourself. I spent about two weeks with my hands in my hair twisting and ripping. Think of the price tag a professional stylist will put on those hours, and then think of all the cool shwag you could get with that cash.Honestly, I wouldn't trust my hair to my friends. They would do it wrong, and I'd say something or undo their mistakes and offend somebody. I tried this. My girlfriend STILL won't fiddle with my hair. Doing it yourself is time consuming and kind of tiring.If money isn't an object, and you're confident that you really want to *buy* dreadlocks, go for it, enjoy your hair. If you want to grow and develop a set of dreads you can be proud of, consider another method.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
salons are the worse mistake u can make..99% are total disastersseriusly go natural or twist n rip yourselfthey can charge up to 1000 by time u realize they screwed ui have never heard anything good about any salons

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
yea sure spend 100 bucks to section your hair brilliant... dont even do that section youirself and dont section evenlyeven sections look fake and forcedyour better off going natural or at leasst allow the hair to section itself naturaly

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
14 years ago
29,640 posts
you can buy me a car with the money we just saved u

--
 / 3

Dislike 0

Tags