Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Threw out my comb today!

HelianthusSpiral
@helianthusspiral
8 years ago
10 posts

Hello all! I've considered dreads for the past few months but was too nervous to make such a change to my beloved 35 inches of hair. Now my lifestyle has changed and I can't be constantly untangling my hair throughout the day. Dreads will simplify my life in ways and possibly add challenges in others (I foresee dandruff issues as I already struggle with a dry scalp!) However I am open to all aspects of the process and feel confident this community can help me trouble shoot whatever may come up.

I'm thrilled to have finally begun my journey! I can't wait for my dreads to reveal their unique selves and gently help them along as they change and grow :)

RayneMama
@raynemama
8 years ago
44 posts

Wow you have a lot of hair. I can foresee separating will be time consuming. Welcome to the beginning of a beautiful journey. I find tea tree oil helps the dandruff. How often do you wash your hair? What shampoo are you using? 

HelianthusSpiral
@helianthusspiral
8 years ago
10 posts

Thanks! I havent used tea tree oil before, how does one apply it? In small amounts just on the affected area?

I shampoo my scalp about 3, sometimes 2 times a week with cheapo stuff like VO5. I condition my length about every other day - I probably need to use acv to get the residues out asap, to get my dreads off to a proper start.

I haven't learned the specifics of separating yet but I definitely can understand it taking a long time for me!

RayneMama
@raynemama
8 years ago
44 posts

I use a few drops with water in a spray bottle. Start using a natural dread friendly shampoo, no more conditioner. I wash my hair every three days. Drying will be another hurdle, you want them to dry before putting up your hair. There is so much to know. I'm sure others have great knowledge, and this site helps a lot

HelianthusSpiral
@helianthusspiral
8 years ago
10 posts

And then just spray the tea tree mix all over your scalp?

Thanks for the tips! I have my hemp rose Dr Bronner's at the ready. But yes mold is a concern I've had, I won't wash my hair often but want to look into antimold essential oils I can use. I may start using a blow dryer a bit (I swore off heat tools since growing my hair out). Do you know whether dreads are susceptible to heat damage?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

yes all hair is so if you must use use sparingly

if you have hard water don't use bronners!

you can get teatree bronners

or lavanders anti mildew

www.dreadlockshampoo.com teatree rosemary is awesome

given your length id switch back and forth between liquid and bar..after using the liquid you'll have to separate lots more (it will dread faster or over dread... so switching to the bar will keep it manageable then you can balance speed with controllability

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
HelianthusSpiral
@helianthusspiral
8 years ago
10 posts

Thank you so much for warning me about Bronner's, my city has notoriously hard water! And that's genius to switch between bar and liquid. I've been looking for long hair-specifc advice. I got some tea tree essential oil and am definitely ordering a bar & liquid from dreadlockshampoo.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

the liquid can make it dread real fast.. possibly too fast if used exclusively

you had said you had to detangle a lot.. i have seen asain hair your length almost turn into 7 dreads in a single night..every last hair in these 7 dreads

but he hadto wear it in a French braid before bed ..every single night, or wake up that way

you might find  you use the liquid and see very fast dreading but large sections, so then want to separate, use the bar awhile  till its tamed but not progressing as fast as youd like then switch to the liquid till the separating is too much hassle, then back to bar etc

use which 1 will give you the desired effect either making it less hassle but slightly slower, or more hassle but a burst of speed

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form