Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing - early stages

ceebenn
@ceebenn
8 years ago
36 posts

This is a very basic question, but I can't find the answer. How gently do you wash your undreaded hair at the very beginning when it is just starting to section itself? I have thick hair, it's beginning to look like pieces separating but nothing distinct.

At this stage, do you wash under the full pressure of a shower? Would a running bath faucet loosen the pieces? I'm trying to lightly rinse and not let the water pressure get all over the roots. I'm also not scrubbing with fingertips, but rather putting whole palms on my head and just pushing the water around a bit.

And I'm barely towel drying with just light pressure, not rubbing at all. Is this correct? Doing this actually seemed to make the pieces more distinct.

Should I sun dry? 

updated by @ceebenn: 10/19/16 08:46:19AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

towel drying might  make it knotty more often then not, but then theres the risk of all at once erasing 3  entire months of progress

so its best to avoid it

don't be concerned about rinsing  you can use any  pressure you want.. some people use the flat palm thing but i think its way more effective to use fingertips and scrape at the scalp but only concentrate on the scalp  try not to mess with the hair at all if you can.. just get those fingers in there to scratch away any dead skin and dirt accumulation on the scalp

then rinse through

i actually use a hand held shower on the maximum pressure and the concentrated massage stream (i guess that's what it is) to power rinse  and hold it very close to my head

i think rinsing well is important i spend a lot of time rinsing very thoroughly

i don't use a towel at all anymore

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ceebenn
@ceebenn
8 years ago
36 posts

Thanks, soaring eagle, it is so kind of you to take the time to answer my questions! I'm enjoying the journey already.

ceebenn
@ceebenn
8 years ago
36 posts

Ordered some shampoo from dreadlocks shampoo, and it smells great and really leaves your hair clean and smooth. Unfortunately, by scrubbing a little and rinsing under full shower pressure, it seems to have separated out all kinds of hair on the top. Only the back stayed somewhat bunched together in curls. I'm going to wash only once per week because my hair is dry and doesn't get that grungy. Guess this is going to be a longer path than I thought but that's okay.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

you only need to scrub the scalp not the hair

the microfine clays in the shampoos flow through the hair bonding with dirts and oils and removing them

--
ceebenn
@ceebenn
8 years ago
36 posts

Washing according to your advice. I still find the hair on top is a bedhead mess, but hoping that as the rest starts to form sections, it will help that along. One thing I can say for sure is that my length is shortening as the curls curl up and mush together. But that's okay! I'm also taking biotin to help the growth.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

sounds like its working out well

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form