dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A new start

Irie
@irie
8 years ago
41 posts

Greetings from Los Angeles.
I guess I should start by saying my name is Joseph and I am 26 years old, pleasure to meet you all.
As long as I can remember I've always loved dreadlocks, even as a child seeing them made me feel happy and I never knew why.
I have almost always had long hair, I remember when I was maybe 8 years old I had it all shaved off. I cried for hours I felt like I lost a piece of myself.
When I was in middle school I had some friends that where African, I was one of the few Caucasian children at my school. One day I had told them I loved dreadlocks and wanted to get them one day. Thats about where our friendship ended, apparently since I was white I wasnt allowed to have them in their eyes. For a long time after that experience it haunted me. That was until I learned that its not only African culture, but human culture.
For many years I always assumed with my blonde hair it just wouldnt look good until one day I saw a man with gorgeous blonde dreads.
I told myself that night that one day I would dread my hair that was almost 10 years ago. What has been a burden on me has been work and family.

My mother pushes me to do everything I want that makes me happy but  my father is not quite as lenient. However its time to make myself happy, not him anymore.
As it stands my hair is very long, about down to my shoulder blades. After reading lots of stuff via this site I want to let it dread through neglect but I willl have problems with my job at that point. I talked to my boss and she doesnt care if I have dreadlocks, nor does she care if my hair is long and taken well care of like it is now. The one problem she has it that its going to look nappy for 6 months to a year, that was kind of the deal breaker. What would be the best method in my case? Is it viable for me to just backcomb? If I had more money saved I would quit now, Id like to just travel but I dont have enough money saved yet. Just under 1/2 way there. I really want to start them and have time for them to mature over the next year or two before I start to travel.

updated by @irie: 07/11/16 04:22:26PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

that cannot be a deal breaker..by law

these are the laws regarding dreads and jobs https://www.dreadlockssite.com/dreadlocks-forums/forum/dreads-jobs-employment-issues/110594/dreadlocks-and-employement-laws-your-rights-to-wear-dreads-in-the-workplace-explained

you have the constitutional right to dread naturally

now backcomb is not the best nor worse

twist and rip is next best to natural so if you don't go natural tnr is the way to go

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Irie
@irie
8 years ago
41 posts

Thanks for that link, I read through all of it on my break and the one thing that really stuck out was "The wearing of dreadlocks is protected by law as long as they are worn for religious or spiritual purposes and not simply fashion."

My boss already knows I'm a very avid secular humanist, I'm spiritual but I don't believe in organized religion nor any human Gods.
I have a feeling it might be hard for me to fight that in court if they decide to let me go.
So what means of action would I take at that point?

Insight to why she knows: I have attended the National Reason Rally every year since I've been employed, they have been nice enough to give me the week off every year for me to attend.

If there isnt much I can do about that then I will def go with tnr but I still want to go natural if you have any other insight on how I should go about dealing with my boss.

updated by @irie: 07/11/16 06:04:13PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

sincerely held belief

spirituality falls under sincerely held belief, as it says, you can be the only person in the world with that belief and its still sincerely held

this can be as simple as wanting to be a natural human, as nature intended you to be

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Irie
@irie
8 years ago
41 posts

Perfect! I dont think I could have asked for any better of a reply.
Thank you so much soaring eagle, your insight is very much appreciated!

That's a huge weight off my shoulders and now I know how to deal with the situation.
I will be posting photos as soon as I see some progress!

erik5166
@erik5166
8 years ago
30 posts

Hey there, another Angeleno here. Good luck on your dreading journey, enjoy it!

foz_bee@hotmail.com
@fozbee
8 years ago
34 posts

hey dude, hats off for deciding to make yourself happy! do what you feel is best and feel the freedom!!

Irie
@irie
8 years ago
41 posts

Thanks for the encouraging words guys, much love to everyone. I just wish everyone on this planet could be happy for others! Fozbee, we're both starting around the same time im looking forward to watching our progress :D

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
8 years ago
156 posts

Welcome Joseph, you're on the right track!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form