Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

new server updates and what to expect

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well its official, monday we are purchasing a shiny new server! it will also have more power, more speed (we had 2 options, more, or...1/2...i went with more)

over the next week i will be setting the server up, configuring it migrating the sites to it and then taking it to a nearby server far where it will be colocated then every site will be tested in a non live environment (by changing my local .host file to point to the new server) once i verify everything is working corectly, i will start switching over  the dns

dns can take awhile to propegate so i will make a post on the new server announcing the new server, and 1 on the old server announcing we changed servers

once i verify everyone i can contact indeed is seeing the new server  i will do a final re-sync in case anything was posted on the old server during propagation

i have requested (and I hope they accept) that when the old server cancellation date arrives (the 10th of next month..about) that they pull it from the rack and set it aside  without reclaiming and wiping the data for a few days till i give them the all clear

I am going to work as fast as i can to get it up long before this date however as right now videos will not convert after uploading.. an issue that will be fixed by moving to the new server

I have begun downloading extra backups of important files already, just to have spares on my hard drive if needed

bear with me as this is my 1st time setting up a linux server  mostly on my own (i will have help from 2 volunteers if i get stuck)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 04/28/16 08:18:13AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

downloading important files from the server "just in case'

almost 2 million files so far and nearly 1 tb left to go..at least

i hope i have room on my drive for it all

i hope this isn't causing any slowness

I've throttled it back a bit cause my home nets not that great

but its likely to take a few days to complete

good news is the server to server transfer should only take a number of hours ..but that still will be most of a day at least

will update this as i progress

tomorrow i will order it and should have it here to start setting up by wed at latest..i think

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

i will have the new server here tonight, and will start setting it up

all smaller sites will migrate over 1st cause migrating dreadlockssite can take a pretty long time  even maxing out the bandwidth

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

i will have the new server here tonight, and will start setting it up

all smaller sites will migrate over 1st cause migrating dreadlockssite can take a pretty long time  even maxing out the bandwidth

i cant say for sure what day we will go live though

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 04/22/16 11:59:23AM
garism
@nattyska
8 years ago
30 posts

That's great!!

Good luck on the change @soaring-eagle . Feel free to bug me if you need a tester or any I could able to do.

Laugh

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well i'll be sticking it on the rack at the server farm tomorrow!  but then will be at a council for a possible local rainbow gathering

then once I'm back i'll have a lot to do setting it up configuring and installing stuff and then migrating the sites

dreadlockssites huge so will take awhile to migrate

after that we can start testing to make sure its all working just right

then switch it over

i was a bit surprised how much it sounds like a jet engine when booting up lol

do you know much about server management or are you just wanting to help testing

i do have 2 experts on server management but they both have limited time to work on it if i get stuck

and this will be 1st time managing a server  strictly by command line without web host manager and cpanel

--
garism
@nattyska
8 years ago
30 posts

Sorry @soaring-eagle , server management is not my port. Just wanted to help in testing, possibly find pages that's not working as expected but hope we won't find any.

Wink

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

everything should work things that may need testing will be  the music and video conversion, make sure photos upload properly etc

oh when testing when you login you will get a "server untrusted' type warning because the ssl security won't be installed yet so just click add exception

the ssl will be added before switching the server over to live

once i have the site moved over i will post the ip, you can then change your host file (i'll include instructions) so you will access the site on the new server  before dns is changed over

are you on windows, Linux or (eek) mac

if windows (wich i assume) just need the version cause newer versions 7 and above  editing the host file takes a couple extra steps for security

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

ps dropping the server off at the server farm today, but then headed to the woods to go camping and have a rainbow council for a possible local gathering so wont get to work on it till this weekend i will have a good 24 hours configuring to do  then start migrating sites ..dreadlockssite alone  can take a couple to few days to transfer due to its huge size

so don't expect testing to begin till early next week which will give us barely enough time to have it all ready

it will be a race against the clock that's why i was hoping to have just 1 more server techy type person on  hand in case i needed it

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

got the server 3/4 configured (i think) files are transferring as i write this they will take probably 2 days or so to transfer

Monday i hope to have  sites set up for testing at least
i literally had 200+ browser tabs open looking up things  trying to figure it all out (ive never done a full server setup like this before)

made a few mistakes along the way haha (wasted all of last night transferring files to the wrong place)

good news is got much more done in 24 hours then i expected to get done in a week..which is good cause we barely have a week to get it ready

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form