Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dandruff and shampooing

Adam3
@black
9 years ago
24 posts

I'm about 1 1/2 months in to dreading my hair (neglect). I have a couple matted sections on the back of my head (most likely from friction when sleeping), but the rest is just starting to section. Couple questions/concerns. 

-Shampooing-

I've read to shampoo whenever they feel dirty. But at the same time, to work towards shampooing less frequently. I am a competitive powerlifter and I train at least 5 times a week. After each training session, my hair feels and looks dirty. Obviously that equals washing my hair 5 times a week. Every where I've read says thats too much. Also, I use an organic shampoo from a place in Florida called DollyLocks (contains essential oils), and when I'm out of that, I picked up a Tea Tree Tingle shampoo from Trader Joe's (I found it recommended on another site). Any input?

-Dandruff-

I've been experiencing dandruff on my scalp and into the matted sections of hair. Not sure if this is due to the amount of shampooing (above) or something else. The shampoos I use don't really feel like I'm getting my hair clean (maybe it because they don't lather due to essential oils being the base).

I just started and don't want to quit now. But I also don't want to walk around with dandruff all over my head.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

try www.dreadlockshampoo.com if its true dandruff  then ujse the teatree rosemary if  psoriasis patchouli  ...stop using hot water

does dollylocks contain sls  sodium laurel sulphate or anything in the sulphate/sulphide family

dandruffs common when starting out as  your hairs adjusting to not being combed

also  dry scalp can be  mistakewn for dandruff if your scalps dry  and flakey it might not be true dandruff   the dreadlockshampoo liquid will make it dread fast  because its got sea salt but that will dry out the hair and scalp some so the bars  though they will make it dread slower might be better   for everyday and use the liquid once or twice a week

5 times a weeks not too much! though when they are  tightly dreaded  especialy if thick and long they will dry slow so then yes it will be too much till they are  fairly well dreeaded theres no reason not to wash as often as you want

hot water however  increases dry scalp and dandruff and if u do a cool wash  or  just barely  warm . then finish with a real cold rinse that will help

if your scalp stays dry and/or your african american  u might want to spot treate the scalp  (not hair) with something like jojoba

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Adam3
@black
9 years ago
24 posts

Thanks SE for the info. The DollyLocks shampoo is 100% Vegan without any animal testing, artifical colors or preservatives, MEA/DEA Dyes, Parabens, Phthalates, Propylene Glycol, Gluten, Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfate, Sodium Menthyl Sulfate and GMOs. The ingredients are: Distilled Spring Water, Saponified Coconut Oil, Olive Oil, Castor Bean Oil, Almond Oil, Tea Tree Essential Oil, Spearmint Essential Oil, Grapefruit Seed Extract. All organic.

I will start using a cold water rinse. 

I really like the Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle. I don't have a bottle readily available, but all the ingredients are organic as well and doesn't contain any Sodium Lauryl/Laureth Sulfates either.

I checked out the dreadlocksshampoo site you mentioned. Looks like good stuff. I used a sea salt spray once and I'm pretty sure it dried my scalp out with just a little bit sprayed. Like you mentioned, I might be better to use a bar more often and the liquid just a couple times a week.

updated by @black: 04/22/15 09:21:37PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

ok just  switching from hot to cold  then should do the trick

--
Adam3
@black
9 years ago
24 posts

Another question. Kinda strange when I read it. But what's the most effective way to wash your hair/scalp without running your fingers through your hair? I read somewhere that someone recommended using your palm only and massaging in cirlces. I tried that, but feel I didn't get to my scalp very well.

updated by @black: 04/22/15 09:29:12PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

i rub it on then use fingertips to just massage and scrape at the scalp with my nails   i also only do 1/4 of my head at a time  not all of it at once  like ill do right front then rinse left front then rinse etc etc  then after all 4 quadrents are done i  rinse  and rinse and rinse some more

--
Adam3
@black
9 years ago
24 posts

I found an alternative to sea salt sprays (due to overly drying the scalp). Any opinions on its effectiveness and the ingredients?

1 Part 100% Pure Aloe Vera Gel

1 Part Lemon Juice

3 Parts Water

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

dont use lemon juicve too acidic

aloe  condiitions

but it shrinks as it dries so  appears to tighten as it pulls in loose hairs making it smoother less frizzy but ultimately slows ddreading

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

but  would be great for the dry scalp

--
Adam3
@black
9 years ago
24 posts

Good to know and glad I asked! I'll just skip any locking sprays and maybe revisit them later on in my journey. Thanks for the all help SE. Very much appreciated.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form