Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

a little reassurance needed

Adam3
@black
9 years ago
24 posts
So my first post here was the horror of removing dreadwax done by a "professional". After a PAINFUL and SCARY process, I got my hair back to it once was without cutting it off (thankfully).

Afterwards, I've noticed my has changed. In talking with my sister-in-law who is knowledgeable about hair, she commented on how the elasticity was damaged from the process the " professional" had done. My hair was definitely 'whispy' and looked really thin/brittle. It hurt to comb it for a couple weeks (due to scalp damage).

So a couple months later, here I am now. My hair feels A LOT better. But my desire to dread has not left me. If I were to pursue it again, I would do completely natural (wash and separate). But having such a TERRIBLE experience, I'm pretty scared to give it a go again. I know the last method was terrible on its own, but nevertheless, it has scarred me. The decision is ultimately up to me, but I posted looking for some support/reassurance. Not really sure what I'm seeking, but I figured this was a start. Thanks for listening.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

when you dread right you will never have regrets

you know its what you want that will never leave you

but those salons and wax can scare anyone

i say go for it toss the comb and never look back

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Adam3
@black
9 years ago
24 posts

Thanks SE. I just showered after the gym and at the last minute decided to skip the conditioner and stop after the residue free shampoo. Its not like I'll dread overnight, so should fears arise, I can still go back.

Before I went to the salon last time, I had started about a week or two doing it the natural way. I just recalled when I was sitting there and she was "prepping" my hair, she noted how I had a small dread forming at the back of my head. Then she combed it out! Haha, that makes no sense.

And you're right. The desire to start will never leave. Its been on my mind ever since I first started the journey. I'm sure its difficult to comb out dreads. Buy I imagine its even more difficult (and brutal) combing out dreads AND wax. That is something I never want to go through again.

Thanks for responding brother. Even when there are no questions that have answers, its sometimes helpful to put your thoughts and concerns out there knowing others are hearing them.

Btw, like the new site man! Great work!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

thnx and yea itscrazt that they would comb out a real dread only to put in fake ones

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
The Undutchable
@the-undutchable
9 years ago
7 posts

I just started dreading the "natural way" too (1 week ago). It's fairly easy, for me at least, the hair seperates itself into the right sized "chunks". Ofcourse they are not really dreading already but I can see pretty well, where the first dreads will start to form. I am just making sure it stays clean and dandruff free.  Good luck with your journey man.

peace out 

Kitty Boom
@kitty-boom
9 years ago
8 posts

Dude, I feel for you. I fell into the salon ( 1 time only, thank god!) and I also let my friend and myself "install" my dreads with the deadening crochet hook/backcomb combo. It wasn't anything near I thought it may be and felt quite down with my new 'locs'.. I combed them all out, all 25 of them. But I knew I wasn't going to stop there as my dread dream was there, just too much information out there makes you do silly things haha! As soon as I treated my combed hair with coconut oil for a week, I began the task of just letting it go, do it's own thing. Even when it use to get brushed was always referred to as Mad hair, now its madder, beautiful and definitely awesome! I'm 10 months in freeform dreads, I seperate once a week (on a whole) but sometimes I'll be chilling and do some work on it and wash. The last count conjured 57 dreads and they are banging!
Don't be afraid, if it is something you really want, commit to it and live the dream :P  

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form