Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A bunch of questions about my 3 week old dreads

JollyStunts
@jollystunts
10 years ago
4 posts
Ok so I started my dreads 3 weeks ago using the backcomb method and nothing else. I also haven't touched them since. But as much as I'm trying my absolute best to not fuss over them (which is hard because I have a lot of ocd tendencies) I just have a few questions for someone with a bit of experience. I am really happy with them for the most part but there's just a couple of things bugging me.1. So on the ends of all of my dreads is a 'J' shape or maybe what might resemble a question mark.. I keep hearing that loose ends fix themselves but what is the actual process? Will it just curl all the way around eventually and climb upwards? Does this take a really really long time? I've grabbed these with my index finger and thumb and pushed upwards like a backcomb technique a couple of times which doesn't really work it soon returns to its curled state (could this have slowed the process?)Here is an example pic: http://s8.postimg.org/4c8bupmud/20141128_160053.jpg 2.There is some looseness at the front of my forehead which is normal I understand but I have been getting my fingers and pushing the loose hairs (gently) upwards off my forehead toward my scalp/dreads in order to sort of get them off of my forehead/out of sight. Now I've heard these go away eventually too.. but if I keep shoving them out of the way with my fingers, will that stop/harm the process of them fixing themselves?Before: http://postimg.com/178000/20141128_160524-177708.jpg After: http://postimg.com/178000/20141128_160638-177709.jpg 3. How often should I wash? I've washed one time after 2 weeks and now its approaching the 3rd week I'm thinking that's probably nowhere near enough washing..4. Does scratching dreads benefit them, harm them or just no effect at all? I've scratched a couple of times and wondered if I was ripping loose hairs out of the dreads.5. I live right by a salt water lake. I've been thinking about walking over there and filling up a little spritz bottle of fresh salt water to spray on my scalp/dreads.. would this help much or not really do anything?6. My last question is how long before I start to see a real physical change in my dreads? I'm guessing around the 3-4 month mark or somethingOh and here is just a pic of my dreadlocks from today: http://postimg.com/178000/20141128_161159-177712.jpg Thanks for checking out my discussion! :D-Jolly
updated by @jollystunts: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
Amanda Clouse
@amanda-clouse
10 years ago
53 posts

Hello!

1. The ends curling is normal, especially if you naturally have a curl to your hair. Mine do it like crazy. Sometimes the curls will catch into the dread, sometimes they don't. It isn't anything you need to worry about or fuss with.

2. Moving little hairs off of your forehead is fine! I move my hair out of my face all of the time!

3. Washing your hair is good to do. Wash about 2-3 times a week. It helps progression. Oily hair slows things down!

4. What do you mean, like when you have an itch? You are allowed to touch your dreads. You just don't want to fiddle and mess with them in a way that can damage them or undo progress.

5. Salt water helps the progress, just don't over-do it or it can damage your locks.

6. You will notice lots of changes! You are still in the baby phase, and baby dreads are constantly doing crazy things! By month 3-4, your locks will look loopy, frizzy, messy, and this is all normal. They won't start to chill out until they are mature, which can take up to a year or more. It is a fun process!

Your dreads are looking good. Don't stress so much about touching them. You will need to touch them if you plan to separate them. Those fuzzies like to get sucked up into other dreads they don't belong, so it is good to separate that before you get congos, unless that is what you want. :)

JollyStunts
@jollystunts
10 years ago
4 posts
Hey Amanda! Thanks for the super fast reply! I like all of your answers, very reassuring :p.I woke up this morning and I'm really happy with how they're looking today, its an especially good day.I just may go and get myself some fresh salt water later on too.Thanks for answering EVERY question also, I really appreciate it :) it definitely put my mind at ease.. I think the most important thing is to just stop worrying about them and stop checking the mirror it seems.I had a quick look at your profile but couldn't get a good look at your dreads.. I think I might be a bit limited by using the mobile site (I know I know, work in progress) but I hope your dreadlocks are doing really well :)Thanks again!-Jolly
Amanda Clouse
@amanda-clouse
10 years ago
53 posts

No problem! A couple of years ago I was on a journey for almost a year and gained a whole lot of knowledge from this site along the way. I had some issues with the way I initially sectioned those ones which ended up with me combing them out.

I recently started a new journey, so no real dreadlocks yet. I have a handful of ones I did t&r to on the top and I am letting the rest go naturally, but since my hair is pretty short, natural knots won't start forming for at least a couple months. I will post photos of my new journey as soon as I take some pictures! Maybe later tonight. :)

Take care :D

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form