Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Very mature dreads that always thin at the ends.

Dredwing
@dredwing
10 years ago
2 posts
Hello,
I'm hoping you lot might be able to help. I've had dreads for the last 20+ years, generally they're great apart from one thing that's bothered me for years. For the last 15 or so years they've got to waist length and then the ends get thin and weak and the hair breaks offy hair has never gone past the waist length. I don't do a lot ofmaintenanceand never have, I wash with Dr. Broners maybe 3 times a year and have just started a daily morning spray with water and some essential oils (tea tree, johoba and patchouli). I have a decent diet and drink plenty of water and so on.
Any ideas on why the hair might be breaking off? Any help I give the hair to stay strong and remain in the lock? Aloe Vera perhaps?
Thanks folks, this is a great site with some amazing dreads from around the world. :o)
Dredwing.

updated by @dredwing: 01/13/15 10:05:54PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

well 1st off you are not washing nearly enough

my dreads are 24 years and a foot past the floor or more

i wash weekly at a minimum bronners is ok in soft water but mosdt places have hard water so bronners isnt ok

are u vegatarian?

i cant swear it matters but everry single person i know with dreads pastthe floor was vegatarian

when u say dont do alot of maintewnence what do you do

all maintenence is harmful to a degree so,me devestatingly somed minimaly

but 25 yeares of minimal harm can add up to maximum damage

id highly recomend washing with www.dreadlockshampoo.com bars they made mine as healthy as can be and wash 1-3 timers a week

do no mzaintenence except seperating if desired

have u ever tried ficxing thin Areeas by tying knots thats guaranteed to make them, break

can you tell us a full history of how they werre started evertything you diod and usded how oiften etc

and please start washing them more regularly

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

have you ever used a crochet hook, interlocked (root flipped) or any sort of dread tools in the past

--
Dredwing
@dredwing
10 years ago
2 posts

Hello,

Thanks for your reply and sorry for my delayed response, I've been away for a while ;o)

I'm going to start washing regularly now, I have already started once a month, I'll be aiming for every 2 weeks now, harder in the winter though as they take ages to dry. We have slightly soft water here.

Yeah, I'm a vege and have been for 35 years :o)

Maintenance wise I literally do nothing other that washing. I've just started using a spray daily (mix of water and essential oils - lemongrass, tea tree and patchouli).

I would love to use the dreadlock shampoo you mentioned but the shipping over to the UK makes it too expensive for me sadly. I wonder if there is something similar over here...

No, I never do any knotting, I sometimes separate but not that often.

I started them 20+ years ago when on the road travelling in France, just didn't bother washing, did a bit of back combing and nature and sea water did the rest. I've never dyed them or bleached them or had any beads of anything in them. I wear them tied loosely most of the time and sometimes down and free while at home or out in warm weather. I work in an air conditioned studio though as I do wonder whether that will be drying my hair out too much, that's been my best guess so far ;o) Also I've never used any of the dread tools, never needed anything like that.

Anyway thanks for your help and advice. My family love my cleaner dreads by the way ;)

Dredwing.

taye
@taye
10 years ago
833 posts

What type of hair do you have? Is it African American or Caucasian? It makes a big difference. African hair needs moisture. or it will get brittle and break off. Jojoba oil is wonderful to use.

Joe sleight
@joe-sleight
10 years ago
1 posts
I've only just started dreading two months ago. Ive only been using what ever soap I pick up but I know I need to start using residue free stuff. Like dredwing im from the uk and would love to use dreadlockshampoo but don't wont to pay for so much shipping. Also wondering if there's any good uk dread soap shops
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

well the thing with dreadlockshampoo is its flat rate shopping so same price for 1 as it is for 5

but as soon as i finish the new site she will be selling them on the site too wich only offers a perr item shipping feee so that might help

--
Psybin
@psybin
9 years ago
32 posts

I dunno if it's feasible but maybe you two and others here from the UK can pool together and do a group order, then figure out how to get them to each other after?  Maybe the shipping prices, once she sells them here, will be better anyway.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form