Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Grand-Mommy Has Dreads!

Gypsy Vin Rose
@gypsy-vin-rose
10 years ago
19 posts

I just turned 46 not even a week ago, and my hair has been trying to dread naturally for quite some time now. This past year--really since the beginning of summer--I've been letting them (my dreads) do their thing. I now have 6 dreads, though I had 7 until my oldest daughter talked me into combing one out. I'm guessing she didn't think my grandson (her son) should have a Grand-Mommy with dreads? hahaha I've regretted that I let her (my oldest daughter) talk me out of 'sacrificing' my 7th Baby dread. : ( Though It seems to be dreading again in that same spot. Now...I'm considering full dreads, but I am letting nature take its course.

I went to the beach the other night, and rinsed my hair in salt water--Mother Ocean's hair tonic--and the next morning, I had little dreads forming all about my head. I fought the urge to mess with them, but did have to untangle on that was a bit of a mess. Perhaps I should've let it alone?

All in all, this time in my life, menopause and such, has become a changing time. I gained 20 unwanted/unneeded pounds since my late-in-life baby (I had her at 41), and I haven't been taking care of myself. I've always had a very small figure, so I guess you could say...I miss that. I am 5'1" and 128 lbs. at this writing.

I feel that I am at a point of awakening and new-beginnings in my life. And my hair is becoming very symbolic of the changes I am going through. I have been inspired by reading Shades of Ash (how I ran across this site), to start eating healthier foods, drink healthier alternatives to beer (non-alcoholic beer has very few calories), like red wine or herbal tea, getting out and moving more.

Living on an island, I can hardly believe I stay in so often. I've been in quite a rut of sorts, and I tend to be a Hermit at times...a lot of times really. But then again, could it be that I've just been in a cocoon...instead? --Just waiting to emerge a beautiful, and free, butterfly?

Many Blessings & Much .V.. (Peace) Your Way,

Gypsy Vin Rose

updated by @gypsy-vin-rose: 02/14/15 12:02:56PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

well its about time

im 48 too and had mine 24 years and counting

your not the only granny with dreads on here theres a few

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Gypsy Vin Rose
@gypsy-vin-rose
10 years ago
19 posts
Well...you are an inspiration! : ) And I'd love to know the other dreaded Grannies on your site.
Lauren Maxwell
@lauren-maxwell
10 years ago
19 posts

Im happy for you. I just started my dreads and I'm a grandmother also. I'm loving the new me.

Lauren Maxwell
@lauren-maxwell
10 years ago
19 posts

By the way I'm just turned 52

Gypsy Vin Rose
@gypsy-vin-rose
10 years ago
19 posts

Lauren Maxwell said:

By the way I'm just turned 52

Gypsy Vin Rose
@gypsy-vin-rose
10 years ago
19 posts

That's great, Lauren. : ) Did you let yours dread naturally, or did you have them done? Either way, from what I can tell in your photo, yours look great! I've been struggling with mine this week. My 'babies' are dreading naturally, and I have more forming each day. The only problem for me is, they are more of a tangled mess right now, and are slowly making their way into becoming dreads. I'm doing my best to remain patient; though it isn't my nature. hahaha

Lauren Maxwell
@lauren-maxwell
10 years ago
19 posts

Gypsy Vin Rose said:

That's great, Lauren. : ) Did you let yours dread naturally, or did you have them done? Either way, from what I can tell in your photo, yours look great! I've been struggling with mine this week. My 'babies' are dreading naturally, and I have more forming each day. The only problem for me is, they are more of a tangled mess right now, and are slowly making their way into becoming dreads. I'm doing my best to remain patient; though it isn't my nature. hahaha

Lauren Maxwell
@lauren-maxwell
10 years ago
19 posts

I had my hair twisted by a loctician. in late June of this year, however I have not a any chemicals in my hair for over 5 years, just wore two strand twist. Anyway the loctician yanked my hair so hard I could hear it snapping from the roots! I never went back. I found this site, stop using all the gunk, wax etc, and here I am. Im in the same boat, dreading slowing, but i'm loving it. Hope to post an updated pic soon.

Peace.

Gypsy Vin Rose
@gypsy-vin-rose
10 years ago
19 posts

Ouch! Sounds like what I've heard about locticians is true. : ( Glad you've gone natural, with no harmful products, and are letting your locks find their own way. : )

I've been so tempted to do the twist and rip method on the lower area of my head; near the nape of my neck, because it's just doing nothing at all but hanging there...limp and lifeless. : /

Most of my head is covered with squiggly locks, full of loops and waves. I don't mind it, because at least I can see it changing from day to day. I wear a rag (bandana or scarf) on my head most days, mostly to keep my hair out of my face. If I wear a scarf, it looks fashionable as well.

Best of luck with your locks! : ) I'll be watching for your updates. *any advice is always welcome*

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form