dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

DREADLOCKS WANTED FOR ART PROJECT!

Naelle Devannah
@naelle-devannah
10 years ago
3 posts

Hello everyone,

I'm working on an art project that deals with the memory within dreadlocks. Once you cut your dreads, you leave traces of your memories in them.

I had cut my dreads last year and started this project. Here's a link to the start of my project: http://blog.devannah.com/dreadlocks-the-cut/

The dreadlocks will be my medium (instead of paint) to create various 'sculpture-like' objects that will serve as memory maps. I will be sewing the dreads (each full head individually) to create organic shapes. My mission is to be able to find various -full head of dreads- before October 2014. And create a memory map from each donor.

I will document the process using photography. The final works will be shown in an art gallery in December 2014.

I'm asking for people who are going to cut or have cut their dreads to donate them and send them to me via post mail.

Preferably in an envelope.

Make sure they are clean.

I will pay shipping fees.

Please include a note with the following information:

How long you had them? For example: "6 years", "2 months and 2 weeks", ect.

Optional: You can add a little paper with information you'd like to share about your experience with dreads or why you had them done?

I will be making updates of the art project on my blog so you can follow up what I'm making.

Here's a link to my blog: http://blog.devannah.com/

If you'd like to know more of this project or would like to donate just email me at: devannah@gmail.com so we can further discuss address and shipping.

Please share!

updated by @naelle-devannah: 01/13/15 10:05:26PM
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
10 years ago
170 posts

Wow.. Sounds like a very interesting idea lol.. I don't know how many people on here would willingly cut their locks at this point, but I guess if there is any place to advertise this idea, this would be one of them. lol.. I wish you luck! :D Wishing you much love, peace, health and wealth! :D

Naelle Devannah
@naelle-devannah
10 years ago
3 posts

Thank you very much!

I agree. :D
In the hopes someone who's about to have them cut for some reason stumbles on this thread. :)

R. Oh Mithrandir
@r-oh-mithrandir
10 years ago
1 posts

I know what you mean. I cut my last set when I was 25 and offered. It to the ocean at the end of Santa Cruz pier. It just started to rain as if the ocean accepted my offering. The rain pounded my floating locks into the sea and it didn't stop raining for three days. The rain and my emotions mingled together for I felt that my locks contained my own akashic record.

Naelle Devannah
@naelle-devannah
10 years ago
3 posts

That's beautiful! Thanks for sharing your experience! :)

R. Oh Mithrandir said:

I know what you mean. I cut my last set when I was 25 and offered. It to the ocean at the end of Santa Cruz pier. It just started to rain as if the ocean accepted my offering. The rain pounded my floating locks into the sea and it didn't stop raining for three days. The rain and my emotions mingled together for I felt that my locks contained my own akashic record.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form