Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How to get flour off dreads?

Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
10 years ago
86 posts

Alright so I was leading my town's middleschoolers in a WyldLife camp and one of the events is a crud's war with flour, some gooey stuff, sand and water balloons. I didn't think much of it and of course having long hair and about 15 months of freeforming dreads my head was a clear target for more than one middleschooler out of the four hundred there... It was fun and about 4 or so kids threw all their flour in my head/dreads and well it got wet with the water balloons and what not and I decided to take a shower to get rid of whatever was left in my dreads, but that didn't happen it seems like the flour just dried up in my dreads and even tho I spent a long time in the shower a good amount stayed. I didn't think much of it as there was a pool at this place and thought that it would probably fall off once i went into the pool, but it didn't. I probably went into the pool on 3 or 4 separate occasions after getting the flour in my dreads and its still there. The best way I've found so far to get rid of it is by grabbing each dread individually and kinda roll it between my fingers and see the flour start falling off. Anybody has any recommendation on how to solve my issue? I probably got the flour on my hair/dreads like three or four days ago and I think it looks grody and it probably does look like wax. Thank You for everything

updated by @jimmy-dc: 01/13/15 10:04:32PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

if it never got we t it shoulda justr fallen out when shgaked out but once wet it will get doughey and yea doing what yiour doing probly is best bend emn twist em kink em anything that breaks up tyhe dough into chunks

i cant think of much beyond that this is something new that is like a mental puzzle that needs to be figured out and from what i imagine the consistency to be the working it trying to break it up seems logicaly to be the best idea this might be a question more for a chef

something that will break it up dilute it into a watery consistency

now that i think of it that way what might be worth trying is long soajks with rough agiitation like youd get in a washijng machine..or high pressure blasting like a sandblaster hbut with water u know like those things they sell for powerwashing buildings..like if u crimp a hose down to a very small hole so u get a very powerful stream that jusats blasts it away

im split here tho on 1 hand moisture may make it more gummy less likely to flake out but enough water and pressure may dilute it enough or blast it away

hmmm

tough call

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
10 years ago
122 posts

My husband is asleep right now but he is a chef. When he gets up I'll see if he has any ideas for you. It seems like there would be some kind of solution or mixture or like maybe white vinegar...(just a guess, it cleans everything else). I know I have been thinking about doing a color run but I've heard that stuff is hard to get off everything without dreads. Good luck!

Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
10 years ago
86 posts

I will try the highest pressure in my shower today, hopefully it works. I will let you know how it works. Thanks for the input

soaring eagle said:

if it never got we t it shoulda justr fallen out when shgaked out but once wet it will get doughey and yea doing what yiour doing probly is best bend emn twist em kink em anything that breaks up tyhe dough into chunks

i cant think of much beyond that this is something new that is like a mental puzzle that needs to be figured out and from what i imagine the consistency to be the working it trying to break it up seems logicaly to be the best idea this might be a question more for a chef

something that will break it up dilute it into a watery consistency

now that i think of it that way what might be worth trying is long soajks with rough agiitation like youd get in a washijng machine..or high pressure blasting like a sandblaster hbut with water u know like those things they sell for powerwashing buildings..like if u crimp a hose down to a very small hole so u get a very powerful stream that jusats blasts it away

im split here tho on 1 hand moisture may make it more gummy less likely to flake out but enough water and pressure may dilute it enough or blast it away

hmmm

tough call

Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
10 years ago
86 posts

If the high pressure water doesn't work, I would really appreciate if there is any sort of way to get rid off it through vinegar or something. If your hubby doesn't know any methods I will just go the long way and do each one individually... got lots of time in the summer. Thanks

Brandi Wilson said:

My husband is asleep right now but he is a chef. When he gets up I'll see if he has any ideas for you. It seems like there would be some kind of solution or mixture or like maybe white vinegar...(just a guess, it cleans everything else). I know I have been thinking about doing a color run but I've heard that stuff is hard to get off everything without dreads. Good luck!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

think u need more pressuree then that like enough pressure to almost take paint off like if u got a hose with 1 of those nozzles that will shoot the water like 50 feet that might be enough pressure

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
10 years ago
86 posts
Well i think you're right because i did the highest pressure in my shower and its still there. I don't have one of those hose but I'll ask around to see of anybody ik does, although it'll probs hurt
ZoeyRainsMom
@zoeyrainsmom
10 years ago
122 posts
Hi Jimmy, well I asked my husband and he didn't know of any tricks. Sorry. I mentioned white vinegar to him and he thought it would be really drying to your hair. I told him how we use apple cider vinegar as a conditioner and that kinda stumped him. Maybe Soaring Eagle would know if it'd be too harsh for your hair. Have you tried to just soak in a hot hot tub and see if that loosens it up? Oh yeah, there's always Dawn dish soap too, that stripped my hair really good. I feel for you, it's like dried clay I'd imagine.
Jimmy DC
@jimmy-dc
10 years ago
86 posts

I appreciate you asking, and well it's still there, I've started to take it off manually but everytime I think I'm close to been done I find another dread covered and even the flour crawling into them. It is all dried up and it really is like clay. and some of them have dried and it is noticeable size like 2mm and they have caught multiple hairs. I'm going to try washing with baking soda and ACV, and if that's no good I'll try the Dawn dish soap, and if that's no good I'm open to any other suggestions haha. Maybe I'll try the knot rot from vicki's if neither works

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form