Dreadlocks Forums

Starting a journey and I want advice

Kaela Bronan
@kaela-bronan
10 years ago
2 posts

Hullo everyone!

So, here's some brief background and what's going on with me now:

When i was about 16 someone assumed I was starting to dread because my hair looked clumpy that day.

It got me thinking about the idea and since I was already very much of a "hippie" type I decided I wanted to do it. A few years later I bought a dreading kit but never actually used it because I kept reading and reading and realized it wasn't the best idea. I lazily backcombed about five sections out of boredom but then I brushed them out.

I couldn't decide what to do and actually take the plunge, so now I'm finally doing it for the first time and I would like some input.

When I was younger my hair would knot up after a day of not brushing, but now I literally can go an entire year without brushing and my hair doesn't mat up at all, even only occasionally using conditioner.

My hair is relatively thick and wavy so I thought it would be no problem.

I've been using Dr. Bronner's and not smoothing or untangling my hair at all for almost a month and I have about 3-6 matted sections, I'd have to count again lol, mostly underneath but one or two are on top of my hair. I don't sleep on my back ever, so maybe that's a problem lol

I can't wash my hair in the sink and I'm not sure how other things would work exactly, like using salt water for example. I'd love some help with that. I haven't found much about it.

I'm also slightly bothered by how filmy my hair seems still. I was told it would start seeming normal again after a few weeks of using Dr. Bronner's, once it adjusted. I'm rinsing and drying the best I can.

Here are pictures of my hair from a few days ago. There is progress, those it's hard to tell in pictures. And no, that's my blue hair growing out, not balding :)

1hair6.14.jpg

hair6.14.jpg

updated by @kaela-bronan: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

awesome hair for dreading thank god 8u didnt use the kit

bronners wont work in hard water if its filmy thats hardwater causing buildup www.dreadlockshampoo.com liquid is whatu need

why wash in the sink? u take showers right wash in the shower

when washing only scrub the scalp not the hair then rinse thru..dont towel dry

sea salts totaly opti0onal but its iun the dreadlockshampoo.com liquid (not in the bars)

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form