Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Clarifying Shampoo.

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
10 years ago
198 posts

I will finally admit that Dr. Bronner's isn't for me (or anyone with hard water). After almost 3 weeks, it'sstarting to make my scalp really oily so I was looking for a cheap alternative shampoo/soap.

A friend told me that she uses VO5 Tea Therapy Vanilla Mint Clarifying shampoo to wash her scalp for her natty dreads. She's 10 months in and has A LOT of progress so I'm guessing it works. We have just about the exact hair texture and we both wash every other day due to oily/greasy hair. She said to do the clarifying shampoo twice and then a BS soak on the third wash.

Anyone else use clarifying shampoo for their dreads/scalp?

(In my opinion, having dreadlocks shouldn't cost an arm and a leg. All these expensive dreadlock shampoos seem to ruin the journey for me. When I think of dreadlocks I think of freedom, not having to worry too much about your appearance and hair. I'd much rather buy $0.80 shampoo that will last months rather than a $20 bottle that will do the exact same thing.)

updated by @mamakittylove: 02/14/15 08:21:17AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

clarifying shampoods are the most toxic shampooos of all and are not safe to0 use that often ionthe lable they say do not use more often thgwn every few months

the dreadlockjshampoos are 10bux banbd last months and smell awesome the only clarifying shampoo i tried smelled like dirt..literaly smelled like washging with a mixture of dust and mud

i would rewcomewnd tellinmg your freind that shes likely to get cancer or brain daqm ge from using tnbat that often

if u inmsist on cheap then baking soda and acv are tbe cheapest altrernatives dreadlockjshampoo the healthiest

i woulde suggesat using the toxic clarifyi g shampoo just once to remove the bronners buildup then ne ver agaiun at least not for a feww months

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Claire3
@claire3
10 years ago
36 posts

It's been really hard for me to figure out whether Boulder has hard or soft water. Someone said it was a bit of both (which doesn't seem to make sense??). I looked on my County's website for the minerals in my H20, & it appears to be soft. Anyway, I appreciate your update on the Dr. Bronner's! I have used it for my first week, & have been okay, but if I find it's leaving to much oils behind-- I will switch to baking soda.

Little Wing
@little-wing
10 years ago
41 posts

I wrote that shampoo leaves residue. My water is soft, so I guess that shampoo is not meant for using in the head.

I'm using now baking soda. I started with the recipe from here, but I think that amount of acv conditions A LOT my already smooth and straight hair. So I tried again with less... Until last time I tried with half teaspoon per 4 cups of water. And also read in some discussion Baba Fats recommended to use ACV once per week if your hair ended up kinda super condition and somehow "oily" (to reduce the use of ACV). I did. My hair still feels super soft and smooth, probably with some knots here and there, but I still look like if I'd been brushing.

What I was thinking is to use just baking soda and if I feel my hair dry, to use the ACV. I guess I have to kinda listen to my body in this case.

Organic shampoos also make my hair smooth and straight. Back in the days I used to use a cheap shampoo by a company from the country where I live, and I remember it used to knot my hair... Probably I am gonna still try with the baking soda for some time and then if nothing happens, I would try the cheap shampoo.

I wanna leave the dreadlocks shampoo as my last option because for me is kinda pricey to order. It's like, for being convenient to me, I had to order around 3 or 4 bottles, so the shipping would be not thaaaat expensive. Anyways, I would like to give it a try.

Have you use it? How it worked on you?

How about your progress? Are you still going ok despite the Bronner's issue?

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
10 years ago
198 posts

I've used the dreadlocksshampoo and it wasn't for me. It made me hair extremely soft and undid all of my baby locks. I won't waste my money on it again (no offense to anyone that uses it).

My journey is still going great though! I have loops and little knots throughout almost all of my sections! My fringe is being stubborn but I could care less, I debated on keeping that as straight hair anyways. I actually used some clarifying shampoo today and it took away the oily feeling instantly, due to the Bronner's. I wish I lived somewhere with soft water, would make it a lot easier lol.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

did u try the liquid or the bars

it musta been the bars cause when i use the liquid it gets instant knottiness like ..totaly insane knottiness

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
10 years ago
198 posts
I had bought the dragon's blood liquid. It smelled SO good but seemed to unknot my hair :(
Ixchel
@ixchel
10 years ago
597 posts

see that's weird i had the opposite experience. with the liquid my hair got even softer than it normally was (which was insanely lol) but the bars work great for me! if i didn't want dreads i think i would use the liquid for my regular shampoo just because i loved it, but for my hair & dreads it just wasn't the right combo. my progress with the bars has been great, & i love the clean & the scent. & the bars also last much longer than the liquid for me. i keep forgetting i still have a bar waiting for me in my cupboard :)

with dr. bronners i did have a weird buildup to it & i have hard water :( i'd like to try it again with better water (maybe get a filter & try?).

soaring eagle said:

did u try the liquid or the bars

it musta been the bars cause when i use the liquid it gets instant knottiness like ..totaly insane knottiness

Ixchel
@ixchel
10 years ago
597 posts

try the bars! i had the same thing, i got the liquid thinking i'd be knotting up in no time & i lost some of the very little progress i had made :( i saved the rest of the liquid until my knots had formed better & used it then but i used the baking soda/apple cider vinegar for the most part until i had solid knots staying in, & i used one bar every once in a while.

MamaKittyLove said:

I had bought the dragon's blood liquid. It smelled SO good but seemed to unknot my hair :(
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
10 years ago
2,702 posts

Dr. Bronners, like all Castile soaps are terrible in hard water. The minerals in hard water don't break down the soap like it should. While Dr. B's is the best bang for you buck, it just isn't for everyone.

When I've bought Vicki's liquid shampoo, 1 bottle has lasted me about 2 months of washing 2-3 times a week. So the price shouldn't be prohibitive. It's only $10-$15.

As for it making your hair soft, it may feel softer than with Dr. B's or BS, because it's not just stripping the oils away, leaving nothing left. It does mildly condition your hair. Which is a good thing, when the right oils and the right concentrations are used. So your hair will feel softer and lighter. It will still knot well.

Claire, the easiest way to find out is to call you local water dept. I know calling a government agency can be a hassle to get someone on the phone. But it'll be the clearest answer you can get. Colorado, due to the mountains can easily have different water types. The same town can lie on 2+ watersheds, so they actually get their water from different sources. Your county could say one thing on their website, as a general rule. but if you call and give them your address, they can give you the real answer

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form