dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting my natural journey, questions!

☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
10 years ago
198 posts

:wave: HELLO!
I've had back combed and twist n ripped locks a few times each. Honestly, going from smooth hair straight to dreads wasn't my cup of tea because I was suddenly uncomfortable when I slept and I wasn't used to the feeling of them. I am a mom of 2 and I am too lazy to spend 30 minutes in the morning and 30 minutes at night combing the knots out of my hair.

So, I threw away my comb 2 days ago and I bought Dr. Bronner's Lavender soap because a friend of mine started her natural journey a month or two ago and she has the same hair type that I do, she already has a few beautiful baby locks.

Just a few common questions, I'm sure they have been asked a million times before...:

• What are the dos and donts of going for natural dreads?
  • How much should I dilute my Dr. Bronner's?
  • Can I still tie my hair up with hair ties during the process?

Any tips and advice in general??

I live 10 minutes away from USA's #1 beach, so I will be in the salt water A LOT this summer, which I hear is fantastic for dreads :nod:

TIA!!!! :hrt: :dreads:

**PICTURES: First one was 2 days before I threw away my comb, second picture is 2 days in (today)**

updated by @mamakittylove: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
10 years ago
198 posts

By the way: I tried the BS ACV wash a few times and it gave me headaches.. AND I bought and used the dreadlockshampoo that's advertised on this site and it actually took my baby locks out of my hair completely, so please don't suggest either of those.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

the liquid from theres better for bany dreads bronners dilute 12 times more water then soap

when u wash put lil on scrub the scalp gently then rinse thru the hair

then shake out and air/drip/sun dry

foir 2 days thats great progress

and great to see u again

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
10 years ago
198 posts

Thanks for the welcome back! I just can't seem to stay away haha! :)

What do you mean 'dilute 12 times more water than soap'? You can see from my pictures that I have a decent amount of hair.. How much would you recommend? A tsp on my scalp? I usually wash my hair every other day or it gets greasy looking up at my scalp. Should I keep washing every other day to keep my hair clean?

soaring eagle said:

the liquid from theres better for bany dreads bronners dilute 12 times more water then soap

when u wash put lil on scrub the scalp gently then rinse thru the hair

then shake out and air/drip/sun dry

foir 2 days thats great progress

and great to see u again

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

i mean use a seperate bottle for your shampoo put 1 poart bronners and 12 parts water then use that as your shampoo well washing too much keeps it oily

the baking soda would decrease oiliness but u can try bronners every 2 then every 3 days also note if u got hard water u wont be able to use bronners

--
☮MamaKittyLove
@mamakittylove
10 years ago
198 posts

Maybe I'll wash with the Bronner's and do a baking soda wash every few months or something just to keep the oil to a minimum.

I have city water, I think it's soft for the most part. How do I check it? What does Bronner's do in hard water anyways?

soaring eagle said:

i mean use a seperate bottle for your shampoo put 1 poart bronners and 12 parts water then use that as your shampoo well washing too much keeps it oily

the baking soda would decrease oiliness but u can try bronners every 2 then every 3 days also note if u got hard water u wont be able to use bronners

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

google hard water map its noit city/vs well water its the water table in a wide area

hard water will make bronners leave u oily or sticky it can even be like as if u used wax no ammount odf rinsing will rinse it out

--
Little Wing
@little-wing
10 years ago
41 posts
Well, I have almost 5 weeks. I am just now kinda aware of it, because now I am a practicant and soon I need to look for a real job, hope not to have problems with that, but just making that appart, I don't see any other issue with the process.I also use around 37.5 ml shampoo and 450 of water in a bottle and Because it has a small hole, I kinda can squish is near my scalp and rub it, because I noticed if I kinda put it first and then wait to rub, it doesn't make good foam (the water in my country is soft anyways)... also maybe if is one of those ketchup bottles with the tip, would be easier the application, so you don't mess with the rest of the hair.Also I just use a clip pin exclusively to hold my bangs (I used to have them short and they are growing now). Also use sometimes a loose "scarf" as a headband just when I feel my hair looks kinda "messy" and just to look "presentable" during my practices, after that time, I remove it and let my hair run free.I don't feel it would be a good idea to tie my hair now in this early stage, the more free it is, the better.Also I wash it every third day... and I just use the sea salt water twice per week just for one hour max.I think I haven't done anything else than that. I would like to try that liquid dread soap shampoo too, but I need to save for that, since the shipping for me would be kinda expensive, so maybe if I buy like 2 or 3 bottles, is not gonna be that bad.Enjoy the ride... I think mine is gonna last ages, but the way I've gone so far, has been good, I guess. ;)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form