Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Having second thoughts

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
10 years ago
68 posts

I started growing dreads about 2 months ago and have seen a lot more progress than I expected during that time. I love the messiness of my hair and I love dreadlocks but now that its actually becoming a reality that I am growing them, I'm worried it might not be the best thing for me.

I work in a environment where there are a lot of powdered ingredients that get everywhere, including in my hair and I'm concerned it may cause mould, especially as lately quite a few people have posted on here about finding mould in their dreads.

Also the dreads I have have shrunk so much some of them are only like 2-3inches long which means when all my hair is dreaded they'll be really short and probably take like 4 years to get back to my undreaded hair length.

I'm not sure what to do as the dreads I have would be impossible to comb out so I would have to cut my hair. Either that or I could leave my hair to dread and see how it turns out after a year or so... but then might end up cutting them off anyway if they all turn out 2 inches long so seems like a waste of time.

updated by @hannah-moore: 02/03/18 12:53:09PM
Pete
@pete
10 years ago
67 posts

Don't cut them, remember why you got them in the first place.

You have to understand mind is only working through desires, and ones you reach your destination it is very confused about what to do, so this is why the phrase "Grass is always greener on the other side".

First see how life really is through clarity, before cutting them.

Whatever you choose to do is right.

Jah Bless.

Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

You are learning the secrets of dreads.... It is not really about hair , it is about your life, the way you want to live it. If you chose dreads for just a hair style,you can let them go. If you allowed your head to dread for a reason, then hang in thereYour dread journey will change you.Even if they were started just for style, they can still change you. It sounds like you are either unsure as to why you dread, or that you might not succeed with your choice to dread.. It doesn't have to be that way.The issue of dust, mold and other problems can behandled. But fear of failure is a little harder.Believe in what you are doing.Examine why you are doing it.My hair was 28inches long when I started and some little guys have measured in at 10 inches. So I shrunk a lot. But I know in the process I will regain everything and then some. Your dreads will change you in ways you cannot even realize now....you have just started. Even if you decide to comb out, and yea you do not have to cut them off, you can save your hair, you are already changed.Little dreadies are so cute. Think about things before you give up. Talk to SE. But what ever you decide may your lifes journey be happy.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

dont worry bout the shrinkage they will grow much faster then you think once growing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
10 years ago
68 posts

Thanks guys you've reassured me a little I'm still a bit uncertain but I'm not going to cut them without really thinking about it. I started growing dreads for the journey but I also like the style and love the look of long dreads which is why the shrinkage concerns me so much.

Kris -I don't like to use a blow dryer asI don't want the heat to damage my hair.. I've always been extra careful with how I treat my hair as it is so thin which is why I've never straightened it etc. Plus where I live I can notdo the BS/ACV wash as my water is very hard and itdoesn't wash out properly.

Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts

Mold and the accompaying funky smell is a fungal infection from mold and mildew trapped inside the dreads on the hair strands of well meaning deadheads who wash their dreads far too often and never let them dry completely to the center of the dreads. It is spread by fungal spores not powders. If you are truly worried about mold from living in the damp humid UK, Vicki from the dreadlocks shampoo site makes a product that uses natural plant based fungicides that actually kill the spores (the hardest part to get rid off in a mold and mildew infection). Its called Rot Knot Mold Eliminator and you use it sparingly, once a month for preventive maintenance. With the exchange rate of pounds to dollars it should be very inexpensive for you. Here's the link:

http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=7&products_id=24

The best way to prevent mold & mildew is to make sure you wash less frequently then you used to. This is more important the more your dreads mature and go from loose hairs to knotted ropes of hair. The thicker and fatter the dreads, the more time they will need to dry. The general rule of thumb is three days. The outside hairs will feel dry to the touch within a day but it is the deeper hairs within the center of the dreads that will be the most prone to mold and mildew as they retain moisture and are never exposed to sunlight.

As for workplace cleanliness I hear you loud and clear. I work in healthcare, understandably one of the worksites most prone to infections. We worry about fungal, viral and bacterial contaminates getting onto our skin, hair and as well as into our respiratory systems. For protection we wear protective clothing and equipment as I am sure you do as well. For longer hair specifically use a Scrub Bouffant that will cover your head completely from your forehead to the bottom of the nape of your neck. Make sure it is long enough to fit your dreads into. Try healthcare scrub sites, you'll find a lot of different patterns and colors that will look professional yet fun as well if that's your style. They should be of a nonporous non-woven material like polyester as they will offer better protection then cotton ones.

As for cutting dreads, this is the most drastic and final step. If you were following the nazarite vow this is the final part of the vow. Once the allotted dedicated time had passed they would finally cut their hair and offer it as a burnt offering at the temple. This is the thing with dreads most who do not have dreads do not understand, even when you begin your journey it is not completely clear. Dreadlocks are very spiritual, it doesn't matter what your religion is. The longer you walk on this path the clearer it becomes. The letting go of appearance and vanity, this is the one of hardest steps in the dreadlocks process. Be patient and learn those lessons that the journey will teach you.

You are coming upon the hardest part of the journey. Once the newness and excitement has left, you are faced with the daunting realization that it will be close to a year before they start to resemble proper dreads. Do not lose hope, we have all had those same doubts. Be patient and strong, have faith that eventually the process will begin to unfold and your dreads will mature. I find that posting pictures here has helped a lot. I don't see the progress day to day until I post a pic and the progress becomes very apparent.

As for shrinkage, this is a very good sign. It means your individual hairs strands are maturing by tangling, knotting and weaving themselves into the properly strong rope like structure of dreadlocks. Your hair is growing all the time, so don't worry about the length never coming back. With dreads they are more like branches on a tree, they will grow and develop slowly but surely. Also you won't loose as much hair because the majority of them will be woven into the dreadlock. On average most people loose 127 hairs PER DAY. So don't fret over shrinkage, if anything it should be encouraged. Look at the locking up shampoos from Vicki on the dreadlockshampoo site. I've used all the different ones, Jamaican Mango & Lime, Knotty Boy, Dr. Bronner's. Nothing works better for maturing dreads then the artesian made locking up liquid shampoo from Vicki.

Finally if you still want to do away with them you do not need to cut them. I have friend who him and his wife had very mature and long dreads who decided to remove them before the birth of their daughter. It took a whole day and many washings with a conditioning shampoo and conditioner followed by extensive combing. The ended up using an entire bottle of conditioner each, but in the end all the tangles and knots were all combed out. Have friend or family member help out, and be prepare to see a lot of loose hair on the floor and bath tub. It will seem like your loosing more hair then you are saving, these are hairs that you would have lost anyways over time if they had not woven themselves into the dreads so don't worry.

In the end it is your choice, I hope that you keep them and keep us posted.

Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

Sting Rey you couldn't have been more kind and informative... Thank you for this great post!

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
10 years ago
68 posts

Thank you Sting Rey for taking the time to write that =] I really appreciate your advice.

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
10 years ago
667 posts

Hello Hannah! I wanted to add a thought...when I started my dreads, my hair was about chin length. I was really worried that once it began to dread that it would be like little spikes sticking out of my head and not the beautiful flowing locs that I dreamed of! Well, my journey was a very difficult one. I had not one knot after 8 long months!!! I felt defeated and sad and there were alot of people here who really had to do some talking for me to even continue. I am a very stubborn, strong willed person. Which can work against me if I decide that something is pointless or a waste of my time. Anyway, I just kept believing in what those locs represented instead of how they looked. And let me tell you...it was HARD! It was sooo hard. And then, my dreads started to happen and then, they shrank...and shrank...and shrank...you get the idea! LOL And I just went nuts. I complained my ass off. And all that struggle and all that complaining was like a tonic for my soul. After awhile, my fears just disappeared. Because that was what all that was about...fear. So, now...my dread will be 4 in June. And this guy moves across the street from me and he has dreads (they are like 3-4 inches long and mine are like to the middle of my back) and the first thing he says is.."Wow! I will never get to where you are! Mine are all shrunk up and weird!" I had to laugh. Please don't feel defeated. Hang in there. Mold can be handled. Don't forget why you started in the first place. Big (((HUG))).

Hannah Moore
@hannah-moore
10 years ago
68 posts

Haha thanks Panterra =] I guess I'm lucky in that my hair has knotted up quite a bit in only 2 months.

My friends has said that the back of my head looks like I've started to spike part of it up and then decided to leave the rest lol as there is a cluster of really shrunken short ones that just stick out all the time. My hair isn't even chin length its like to the top of my lip if I pull it down. I know in time they will growbut cant help having doubts about certain things and be worried about mould etc.

updated by @hannah-moore: 07/23/15 02:31:58AM
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form