Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hello, New to the site need advice for my dreads

Kyle Scott
@kyle-scott
10 years ago
1 posts

Alright so first off, My name is Kyle and this sight has been amazing for me since I first starting considering dreading. Just short of 1 year and 1 month ago I found this sight while I was exploring the different methods of dreading, (I already had shoulder length hair at that time) and discovered the "Natural" or "Neglect" method and thought "Well that's easy enough. Just stop combing my hair" So I started from that day (January 3rd 2013) I read about the importance of keeping them clean . I've washed my hair every 3 days since then using Baking soda, 20-30 drops of tea tree oil. 20-30 drops of rosemary oil, and 10-20 drops of lavender oil. I've stayed away from all products and counter-productive techniques no matter the vast number of "tips" I receive when I'm out. I've really enjoyed the process and I love my dreads but mine do not look as neat as most of the ones I see on here. Some of them are pretty much perfect but most of them.... not so much. 2 of which I have are huge they were also the first 2 to dread but it seems they consumed too much hair in the beginning and are now so big that they kind of stand up. others are very small with a larger-than-proportional ball at the end most of them are average size but with a lot of bumps and zig-zags. To sum it up, Most of them are nice all the way to the tip, then at the tip its a knotted bundled mess. I've always just shrugged it off and figured in the end when they finish locking they would look fine but i guess now that I'm over a year into it and they still are kind of crazy It's starting to worry me. I definitely do not want to cut them but some days I find my self thinking about maybe starting over. It would be very reassuring to hear that This is normal and in another year they will be glorious so I guess that is why I'm here, I just haven't came across any dreads on here that looked quiet as wild at the tips as mine do. Any advice is appreciated Thanks. I'll have pictures up soon

updated by @kyle-scott: 01/13/15 10:01:34PM
taye
@taye
10 years ago
833 posts

The one big thing that I have learned over the years is that dreads constantly change. Mine are at six years and they are not all perfectly formed ropes. There are still a few lumps and bumps in old ones. I have a crazy 2 year old dread on the side that formed from new growth. It has lots of zig zags in it still. My tips get very fat flat knots on the ends and eventually round out. It takes a while, but it will work out. Neglect dreads will change a whole lot in the first 2 years. So at 1 year... you are doing great.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

mine have a few like that but how big are the huge ones thats the only ones to be concerned about the rest are just fine

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Richard4
@richard4
10 years ago
16 posts
i also have big balls of hair on the end of my dreads (neglect at 9 months now). I was also wondering the same thing but i guess it's natural and they will work themselves out and if they don't oh well, your hair will have more character for it!
Jamison Johnston3
@jamison-johnston3
10 years ago
64 posts
As far as I'm concerned, that's what MAKES your dreadlocks glorious. Just accept it as part of the process. Keep the faith man haha
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form