Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just Introducing Myself!

Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

Hey everyone! I'm new on here and would like to say hi. I live in Louisville, KY. I'm an artist and a musician. I play piano and tribal drums. I love to cook healthy food and grow vegetables in my backyard. I have a husband and 3 cats. I just turned 30 back in September. I've been driving a school bus for 3 years now and love it.

Also I'd like to share about why I want to dread my hair. I know there's a plethora of reasons we choose to dread and different folks will say different things. Here's why I'm dreading...

First, I hate brushing my hair! It's long, which I like, but it naturally wants to grab onto itself and I get a lot of knots and clingy bits throughout the day. Also, I'm artsy and I like beads, wraps and other decorations. I feel like dreads are for me because I also like all things that are natural. Also, they look pretty damn cool!

So what made you decide to dread your hair? How long have you had your dreads? Tell me about your dread journey. :)

updated by @michelle-d-ransdell: 02/14/15 01:26:17PM
Jamison Johnston3
@jamison-johnston3
10 years ago
64 posts
Welcome! I chose to dread my hair so i could get more in ruins with my spirituality, and be more natural in my life. Have you started the started the dreadlock process yet?
Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

Spirituality is the other reason I'm choosing to dread too. I'm a practicing Pagan. What's a witch without long knotty hair? LoL But, no, I haven't started the dread process yet. I won't be doing that until April, or sooner if I can get the money saved up. I need someone else to do the sectioning and back-combing... I started dreads 1.5 years ago, but took them out after a few weeks because I had done the sectioning and back-combing myself and it was lopsided in the back. I also decided I wanted my hair to get longer. I'm not planning on using any wax or other sh*t in my hair. I'm going to have them sectioned and back-combed and then I'll just keep them separated and let nature do the rest. Luckily, I have summers off and can be raggedy-looking at home for the first few months instead of at work. LOL
Jamison Johnston said:

Welcome! I chose to dread my hair so i could get more in ruins with my spirituality, and be more natural in my life. Have you started the started the dreadlock process yet?
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

if it knots so easy then just let it dread naturally

also the longer it is the more it shrinks

theres nothing wrtong with lopsided and having someone else section and backcomb is almost always a very bad idea

it sections itself perfectly if u let it happen naturally

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

I'm anal-retentive and prefer that it be even. I have nothing against lopsy locks, it's just that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to certain things. Although I am taking lots of people's advice into consideration and I have a couple months to change my mind about what method I will use. But I know that since my hair wants to knot on its own, it won't have any trouble locking up, which makes me very happy! :D

soaring eagle said:

if it knots so easy then just let it dread naturally

also the longer it is the more it shrinks

theres nothing wrtong with lopsided and having someone else section and backcomb is almost always a very bad idea

it sections itself perfectly if u let it happen naturally

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

the thing is and almost everyone here can back me up on this you mat think you want things all even and uniform but the 1 dread that refuses to be even and goes wild will be your fave and make u wish they were all unique ..maybe enough so to make you want to start over

many many here started off with all perfect sectioning only to hate how manufactured looking they were and ended up starting over either naturally or tnr with natural sectioining

stop combing right now today and by next week you will have sections perfectly formed and most likely already be dreading

--
Sarah Robinson
@sarah-robinson
10 years ago
7 posts
Hello and SE is very right. Sectioning works best when it happens naturally and is also more comfortable as it doesn't pull as much. Also some variation in size is good as hair doesn't tend to have a uniform pattern.
Michelle D. Ransdell
@michelle-d-ransdell
10 years ago
38 posts

Yeah I don't want all my dreads to be the same size... It seems to make sense for the ones closer to my face to be a bit smaller and the ones more towards the back to a little thicker.

Sarah Robinson said:

Hello and SE is very right. Sectioning works best when it happens naturally and is also more comfortable as it doesn't pull as much. Also some variation in size is good as hair doesn't tend to have a uniform pattern.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

typicaly thats what happens sunce the back dreadsfastest
also a varuation is sizes blend better thick and thin mised together

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

thats mine (almost 6 years ago) allnatural the thinnist is barely 2 milimeters the thickest an inch most then were under pencil size (let em congo at wilkl suince then now as many as 6 or 8 joined as 1)

but point is u see how well thick and thin all totaly random blend well together

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form