Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing forming dreads

Evan3
@evan3
10 years ago
3 posts

So I've been washing my hair with baking soda every couple of days for the past 2 weeks. I use a tablespoon of baking soda for every 8 oz of warm water, and i mix it. My hair was much more oily than it is here recently, but still gets rather oily between washes. Ive been washing every 2-3 days, I can't take it past 3 days because it's so greasy and nasty looking and feeling.

I have a couple of dreadlets and knots forming finely, all of which are on the back of my head. The sides of my head and front and top parts are still greasy and silky, and not drying as I thought they should. Am I not washing them correctly?

Do I need to use a bucket and dunk them or am I doing this right?

I was pouring 2 tablespoons of baking soda in a 16 oz cup over my head at once whilst showering, then rinsing it thoroughly out about 10 minutes later. I then squeeze my hair out to get the excess water out, and let it air dry after that.

HELP ME PLEASE!

updated by @evan3: 01/13/15 10:01:16PM
Maria Tyler
@maria-tyler
10 years ago
5 posts

Prior to dreading, my hair always seemed 'oily'. I have since learned it was because of my shampoo! Since dreading, my hair is NEVER oily or greasy, and I only use soap and periodically do a BS/ACV rinse (maybe once a week or once every other week).

In the beginning, I washed my hair everyday with BS/ACV, because I didn't know better. After about three weeks, my hair started to get too dry and brittle and began breaking. That is when I switched to soap. For the first time in a LONG time, I love love love the way my hair feels. Not too dry, not too oily. It's healthy. I am so happy with my hair, and I owe it to dreading! I would never have stopped shampooing if I didn't come to this site.

I may not have helped you, but I am just telling you my experience. FYI, I have been dreading about 6 months. Here is a pic of what my dreads look like.

Jose Kassai
@jose-kassai
10 years ago
38 posts
I just did my first bs/acv wash, so nothing I'm gonna say is out of experience :p ... But i read a lot of people saying that some people do have like an adaptation period to the wash. That's because since you won't be messing as much wit the natural oils of your scalp, your body, which was producing excess oil to cope with you shampooing them off, will now have to lower ita production of oil, but that takes time so you feel super oily for a while. Or something like that. Hope it helped :)
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,639 posts

the proper ratio is 1-10 2 tablespoons to 16 oz i dont think is right

ok 16 fl oz =32 tablespoons so 3.2 tablespoons would be right..i thought you were further off but that should be just right

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form