Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

New growth not locking?

Dia
@dia
10 years ago
15 posts

Hey everyone! Although I've visited this website many times, I just joined today. It's nice to meet you all & be a part of this community! Let's be friends!

So I've had my dreadlocks for almost a year and I noticed my new growth does not seem to be knotting up. I know roots need to be loose to a point as to avoid constant tension and other issues but I seem to have 2-3 inches of unknotted roots and I was wondering if this was normal? I feel like my hair is just going to keep growing and growing and undread itself. Am I simply freaking myself out over here?

Thanks for taking the time to read!

updated by @dia: 02/14/15 02:54:03AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

what are u washing with? its ..unusual since they are a year old but not unheard of did they dread slowly? (if natural)

do u tie em up alot?

i had as freind who always tied a scarf round so the ends just popped oiy the top

hers dreaded as balls on the ends and the roots stayed loose cause they were constantly tied that way

if you do that just leave em down awhile

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

and welcome bout time u joined

--
Dia
@dia
10 years ago
15 posts

Thanks for the quick reply! I wash with all natural dreadlock shampoo from http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/

And yes my dreads have been maturing pretty slowly since I do not do a lot of maintenance aside from separation. They still have a long way to go.

I've had them tied up for 4-8 hours a day because of my job. This probably hindered the process because they did not have the opportunity to move and knot. But I have been leaving them down a lot more recently. I will stop tying them up for a month and see how it goes! Thank you.

Casey Fay
@casey-fay
10 years ago
90 posts

Welcome my sister! You have come to the right place for the best answers. Hope you post some pics soon. Good love to your locs!!!!

Dia
@dia
10 years ago
15 posts

Thank you :)))

Casey Fay said:

Welcome my sister! You have come to the right place for the best answers. Hope you post some pics soon. Good love to your locs!!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

when i say you dont do alot of maintenance that means your doing some..what are you doing

separating and washing is all they need

if u use the bars try the liquid awhile

or add the pink sea salt

Deo said:

Thanks for the quick reply! I wash with all natural dreadlock shampoo from http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/

And yes my dreads have been maturing pretty slowly since I do not do a lot of maintenance aside from separation. They still have a long way to go.

I've had them tied up for 4-8 hours a day because of my job. This probably hindered the process because they did not have the opportunity to move and knot. But I have been leaving them down a lot more recently. I will stop tying them up for a month and see how it goes! Thank you.

--
Dia
@dia
10 years ago
15 posts
I'm sorry, I guess I worded that wrong. All I do is separate and use the sea salt about once or twice a week. I will see if switching to liquid helps.

soaring eagle said:

when i say you dont do alot of maintenance that means your doing some..what are you doing

separating and washing is all they need

if u use the bars try the liquid awhile

or add the pink sea salt

Deo said:

Dia
@dia
10 years ago
15 posts

So it's been almost a month since I started this discussion. I've been wearing my hair down every day since then. Not seeing any progress with my loose roots... But I know dreadlocks take a long time so I'm not too worried.

updated by @dia: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

u say almost a year but they dont look fully mature some take longer then others i think several more months will help

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form