Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crocheting

Filip Radulovic
@filip-radulovic
10 years ago
17 posts
Theres a lot of negativity towards crochetong. A lot of people say it damahes your hair and creats a sertain tipe of look. I know a guy who's been doing crocheting for about 10 years now, he's very good at it. He can make your dreads neat or natural looking, it just depends on how he makes them and how tight... About the damage, yes, it damages your hair if you already have tight dreads and you dont know how to use the hook. But he doesnt backcomb them before crocheting. Most people havent eaven heard of this method. Yes, he uses a comb, but a normal one, and just a few strokes (sometimes not at all, depends on the hair) , just to section the hair, so when he crochetes it doesnt damage the hair, it just makes knots, and if you dont mantain the dreads they will loosen up and mature just like in every other method, anyways, peace and Jah bless, I will post pictures of his work soon :-)
updated by @filip-radulovic: 02/14/15 08:19:22AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
10 years ago
2,702 posts

Even without back combing, the hook is not designed to be used on such a thin fiber as hair. it does do a considerable amount of damage. But you're right. if you don't maintain them, they will loosen up and mature properly. So just crocheting once, to start, is not the worst thing in the world. It does damage, but will not completely destroy locks. It's when it's done over and over again that it does the most harm. Once locks start to tighten, even a little bit, sticking a crochet hook through it shreds hair. There is no way to stick a needle through your locks and not damage hair. The hook is dozens of time thicker than a hair. Once the lock starts tightening, the hair doesn't have anywhere to move out of the way, so it rips.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

you cannot use a crochet hook without damage

ut used to be common practice when salons did frosting to pull hairs through holes in a form to bleach but they stopped that cause that gentle pulling hairs through a hole broke too many hairs

thats why now they do foil wraps

you cannot poke a hook through a dread or use it in any way on hair and not cause damage

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Filip Radulovic
@filip-radulovic
10 years ago
17 posts
He's not poking holes, just pulling the hair back thus making a dread, i'm not saying it doesnt do any damadge but he's very experianced and keeps the damage to a minimum, a lot less then you would think
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
10 years ago
2,702 posts

I understand what you're saying, but when 90% of the damage is on the inside of the lock, you can't tell that he's not doing damage. If your locks get fuzzy after a while, and you "need" to go back to have them pulled back through, that is the damage showing up. Yes natural locks get fuzzy. But not nearly as fuzzy as crocheted locks do. Those hairs popping out are broken hairs from the crocheting. And every pass of the hook to "fix" them, only makes more to pop out the next time.

Unfortunately, there's no way to crochet without doing extreme harm, no matter how "experienced" you are. Crochet hook are sold at art supply stores, and not hair salons for a reason. They aren't haircare tools

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

he is poking holes if hes using it to make a dread and youd be surprised at how much damage it does create

it doesnt matter how experienced he is

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

besides the damage it causes just doing it once to start delays dreading by 6 months

--
Filip Radulovic
@filip-radulovic
10 years ago
17 posts
Well, i dont want to argue, for each his own, but i dont think you should be that judgemental towards it, at least not untill you've seen the work this guy does, as i said, hes been dong it for 10 yars, maybe more, and he's got a lot of happy customers who guaranteed that the dreads wont be damadged... I think ceocheting, if done properly and not on a dread but a aection of hair, doesnt cause much damadge, i've seen damadged dreads overvthe internet, eaven ones that have fallen out, so i was conserned, but that happens when using the hook how its not suposed, this guy has his own method which works quite well... Anyways I & I am grateful for your opinion and will proceed with more causion and reconsider the method i will choose, Jah bless
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

trust me ive seen plenty enough to know what im talkimng about and they all claim it does no damage but it does

we had 1 guy crochet an d dove in a pool only to see 4 dreads float away just from the impact with the water

and another had to run his dreds through a sewing machine to keep them from falling apart

there is no sich thing as a proper way to crochet..sure u can do much more damage if your agressive like most salons are cause it takes so damn long they are in a hurry

--
Rustdust
@rustdust
10 years ago
72 posts

I'm recovering from the crochet method and aside from "Damage debate" its a waste of money you will constantly be getting maintenance and it last like 2 weeks and then their messy again and it never ends and your never satisfied, the thing about natural is that they start messy and get better and better, crochet start off neat and get worse and worse ... then you go get maintenance and their all neat again and then they get worse and worse .... like I said it never ends.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form