Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Seriously what's the best maintenance for dreads?

Naomi Hannah Womack
@naomi-hannah-womack
11 years ago
16 posts
Seriously what's the best maintenance for dreads?people keep saying palm rolling etc so I am doing but I'm doing less of it,mid love to be able to walk out the house with lovely amazing dreads that aren't all bouncy and too much of a mess (u know what I mean) I seperate and do care for them but people say some advice like "palm roll" etc and others think differently (they're all good) but what's the best advice please? I was mine quite regularly a lot :D
updated by @naomi-hannah-womack: 02/14/15 02:41:22AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

wash..separate nothing else

palm riolling does nothing but damage them

they need nothing but washing and separating

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
O Daniel
@o-daniel
11 years ago
1 posts

But how to dread the roots? Obviously caucasian hair doesn't naturally dread at the roots. I left mine to their own devices and I had 4 inch straight hair at the top of my dreads. If I left my dreads completely alone then they would just grow out. I have really wavey thick hair too.

soaring eagle said:

wash..separate nothing else

palm riolling does nothing but damage them

they need nothing but washing and separating

Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts
Strait hair at the roots protects your scalp from the sun and does dread as it grows I believe
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ir absolutely does dread at the roots in the 1st 8-13 months your likely to have 1-3 inches undreaded then it dreads to 1/2 an inch

you will get loose hair between dreads that had to grow long enough to dread but it will dread on its own as it grows

if it didnt then i would only have 4 inches dreaded and 15 plus feet undrewaded roots

u got to leave it alone to let it dread tho if u force tighten the roots u remove the movement room needed to let it dread naturally

--
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

Different hair types dread differently. There is so much wrong information out there, its hard to know what to believe. All hair dreads, period, and keeps dreading, don't mess with it and it will dread. But if you expect no free hair (loose hair) then you will be disappointed and feel you will need to do something, if you can accept your hair type for what it is, then you are on easy street. Some hair needs to be four inches long before it dreads, some longer, some shorter, so you will have some free hair that long, some hair will get caught in dreads, so you wont see it, but when those hairs that don't get caught up do dread, they will shrink up in no time and you either wont see it any more or it will make a little dread of its own, but then you will have some more free hair doing the same thing again, so there is always free hair, keeping your hair washed, like super clean, means it all gets caught up sooner, generally. Washing dreads hair. The cleaner it is the quicker the dreads mature too.

peace and blessings

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

exactly

im 23 years in

i have a dozen baby dreads pop up every month or so many get pulled into other dreads (i almost never separate letting them combine at will as long as they dont get thick) i constantly have loose hair too..several inches..but thats where the new dreads come from

--
Pete
@pete
11 years ago
67 posts

Caucassian hair actually dreads just like any other hair, just give it time.

And like Soaring Eagle said, no maintence is needed expect wash and seperation. :)

Jah Bless.

Naomi Hannah Womack
@naomi-hannah-womack
11 years ago
16 posts
Thank you so much guys, I will definitely think like that and not be all negative about them, good things come to those who wait too, I will continue to seperate and keep washing I will cut down on the maintaining such as palm rolling (what do people think that's good or bad for?) ! I meant to say at the end "I wash mine regularly a lot" by the way. Can I please ask for some advice on 'dandruff' or flakes, urgh ow my head is itchy too, so I've heard it's normal? What is the best treatment please?I will be patient and kind to my dreads and hopefully they'll turn out to be just as amazing as yours! And as Anna April's. Thank you so much!Peace
Linus
@linus
11 years ago
43 posts

What do you wash with? It shouldnt be itchy.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form