Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Moments Of Doubt

Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

OK so as some of you know I am In the process of abandoning the crochet and progressing to all natural dreads ... but my former local loktision often posts on Facebook (before and afterpictures) of her maintenance work, some are one year without maintenance, some are two yearswithoutmaintenance and Im finding them quite disturbing to say the least coz they look ... well ... they lookterrible! and itscausing me to have moments of doubt to say the least.

I can post pic's if you you want to see what I'm talking about .... it really casts a shadow over my positive dread vibe ;-(

updated by @rustdust: 01/13/15 10:00:31PM
mindy sue
@mindy-sue
11 years ago
9 posts
Stop looking at those pictures sir. Let them grow with you. Love them for what they are they are your journey! In all their craziness! Namaste
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Delete her. Anyway, the people who go to her for maintenance after one or two years are obviously people who haven't done any separating, otherwise they'd see no need for it. One or two years of not separating your dreads will make them look CRAZY, depending on the individual's hair. I'm not saying they'll look 100% neat, but they won't necessarily look overly messy either. Just let it do its thing before you panic looking at pictures from a loctician posting pictures to boost/promote business.

DarkMatter
@darkmatter
11 years ago
11 posts

Tara C, I fully agree with you, I have seen the photo's rusty is talking about and it looks as though these people are just letting their hair grow and not doing any separating at all in fact one person had just a matted mess at the top of their hair which the loktision had to cut in order to separate.

Rusty you are supporting me through my natural journey and I am supporting you through your crochet recovery process...don't loose faith...they will recover and look amazing.

Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

Hey thanks for the encouraging words guys, I certainly don't intend to go back to crochet dreads, it's all natural from now on and I'm certainly more than comfortable with messy hair, lumps bumps and dog legs don't bother me at all but the pictures did give me a bit of a..."holly shit batman" moment and had me thinking that, that's what happens to crochet dreads after a year or two. They didn't look like any type of dread, natural or otherwise, they just looked like a matted mess.

I've spent a great deal of time on this site, in fact I'm never off it and I'm always reading and looking at peoples timelines etc. and the one thing I've realized lately is that sweet natural dreads are earned not bought and unfortunately there's a part of me that feels like I have missed out on that right of passage by not forming my dreads naturally right from the start....Peace.

Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

You haven't missed out, don't worry. I mean, the journey's different for everyone, and you'll still get to experience your own journey watching your dreads progress and grow :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form