Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Have to cut my dreads in January :(

Bode Shackelford
@bode-shackelford
11 years ago
14 posts
So I'm 14 and I'm a freshman In high school. I've had dreadlocks for about 7-8 months and my mom is making me cut them =(. So I started my dreads with the backcomb and crochet method but after I crocheted the first time I found out it was bad and stopped!!! But after about a week my hair all came out and started the process over all by its self and I feel in love with my new free formed dreads!! But now it's about the 7th month and my mom is making me cut them next month :'(. I asked her why and she keeps telling me because she don't like them and they look dirty and there ugly and all this. So me being in high school I can't do anything so would you guys please help me convince her to let me keep them! I would post pics but idk how to attach them to this! Please help! Love you all bye
updated by @bode-shackelford: 01/13/15 10:00:13PM
Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Start dreading again the day you move out and are on your own. :)

Casey Fay
@casey-fay
11 years ago
90 posts

As a Mom myself, I understand her fears. She wants to make sure you are socially accepted. She sees your hair as a possibleobject for being harassed. Sit down with her without arguing or being defensive, and explain how important dreads are to you and why you are letting them grow. Do you have any vices? Swear, smoke, messy, poor grades? Tell her you will trade a vice for keeping the dreads. Then do it! Stop swearing, study more, etc. This will showher youare maturing with your dreads.Lastly, ask her what really bothers her. Tell her you will keep them tied back around her. Wear a hat of some sort. Give her respect. It doesn't mean she is wrong or right, it just means she cares but can't see you as growing up and ready for change. Dreads demand a type of mature attitude. Be loving towards her .

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

dear mrs shacklford

i want to talk to you about your decision to make bode cut his dreadlocks.

i understand that you think they look ugly or dirty and that you do not like them. bit bode does and has never felt better or more confident. whats more they mean something and losing them will cause depression and regret.

i understand that your perception of dreadlocks might be influenced by what some people may say about dreads being unwashed and looking dirty or low class, but i think if you will give this a chance you may learn that most people actualy admire dreadlocks and think they are beautiful.

in the long run this is a decision he had made knowing fill well that not everyone would be pleased, and it has given him the strength to stand on his own and face these criticisms.

i would encourage him instead and take interest into the reasoning's behind why hed choose to do this.

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

theree are better letters if writren if u search but thise were pre-dread convincing but if u search u maybe can use peices of those too

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Bode Shackelford
@bode-shackelford
11 years ago
14 posts
Thank you so much everyone! And me and her just talked about it and it ended up I'm a big fight and I guess I will just have to wait tell I move out! Fair well my fellow dreadheads you will be missed! :'(
Rustdust
@rustdust
11 years ago
72 posts

Sorry to hear that mate, My mum and dad are in there mid 70's and love my dreads .... dad always says I look like I just fell out of a tree ... hahaa.

when I was in high school I was often forced by some teachers to get a uniform pass because of of my (Punk) hair styles, which was a piece of paper to excuse me for being out of uniform even though I was wearing my school uniform,.... my son Is 12 years old and starts high school after the Christmas brake and he is thinking of dreading, me and my wife don't have a problem with it at all ... his hair his choice.

I hope you mum comes around to liking your dreads mate .... cheers, take care.

Nicole Schaefer
@nicole-schaefer
11 years ago
70 posts

you don't need to cut them!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form