Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Help! Can't decide if I should keep my locks!

Stephanie8
@stephanie8
11 years ago
4 posts

My dreadlocks are still very young-- I've only had them for about 3 months. My whole head isn't dreaded because I'm not ready to make a full commitment yet and I wanted to see what maintenance would be like first. So I have 10 dreads, I think, under the rest of my hair. I did them using a combination of twist and rip and back combing. My problem is that I don't want to spend as much time on them as I am! They keep flattening out completely, and matting at the roots. So I have to palm roll them every day, but it doesn't really work-- they still stay pretty flat. I want to know if something I'm doing is making them be so flat. Am I sleeping on them wrong? I'm the type of girl that doesn't want to spend time on my hair. Does that mean dreadlocks aren't for me? Please help!!!!!

updated by @stephanie8: 02/14/15 04:37:57AM
Stephanie8
@stephanie8
11 years ago
4 posts

Or is it okay that my dreads are flattening, and once they're more mature they might start to round out? I also root rub occasionally.

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

don't palm roll, as you noticed it's time consuming & doesn't last. it only does damage anyways. just leave them be & as you sleep on them they will round themselves out & it will be fine. just wash & separate & live your life, dreads should be easy & they are if you let them! no maintenance required ;)

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

exactly! as they mature they round. don't root rub either, that just breaks hairs

Stephanie said:

Or is it okay that my dreads are flattening, and once they're more mature they might start to round out? I also root rub occasionally.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

stop[ palm rolling them let them be flat they will round out on thier own

you should separate though to keep them from growing together..thnat and washing is all youi should ever do

never palm roll it does permenant harm

dreads shouldnt take any work at all and do not need maintenance except washing and separting

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

never root rub thats horible for them..just leave em be

--
Stephanie8
@stephanie8
11 years ago
4 posts

okay that's good to know. so should I keep palm rolling or will they just make themselves a little rounder eventually?

soaring eagle said:

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

stop rolling, they will round themselves out.

Stephanie said:

okay that's good to know. so should I keep palm rolling or will they just make themselves a little rounder eventually?

soaring eagle said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

when you sleep on them they flatten but then flatten another way and another this tends to make them more round as they firm up

but if 1 stays flat it will be your fave since its not round and boring

do not palm roll

1 it does nothing at all

2 it can permenantly harm them

i hope no wax was used ..not even once?

--
Stephanie8
@stephanie8
11 years ago
4 posts

Thank you for the great advice!!! No, I never used any wax or anything, I researched pretty thoroughly before I began. It just seems like a really gross thing to me haha

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form