Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dreads falling out

rasata man vibrations
@rasata-man-vibrations
14 years ago
6 posts
hey i got dreadlocks about a month and a half ago.
my friend who is a hairdresser did them for me using the backcombing method and
they just keep falling apart and i keep using wax to roll them together.
oh nd by the way i havent used and of those rubberbands and hat thingies to keep my hair together.
my dreadies start to fall out wen im in the water surfing or in the pool and stuff its really annoying.
ive also got bolnde hair and its straight
so wat do u think i should do bout it?

updated by @rasata-man-vibrations: 01/13/15 08:30:47PM
labmofgod
@labmofgod
14 years ago
94 posts
SECOND!!! Knottysleeves said:
Read the guides on this site (links on the right). Wax actually prevents your hair from dreading.

Since your dreads are already falling apart, it's best to comb them out so you can properly get all the wax out of your hair. Once it's totally clean, you can re-dread, either by backcombing again or just going natural and letting them knot up by themselves.

I can tell you from experience that clean hair with NO wax or products dreads up 10x faster than with wax. It sounds like maybe your hairdresser friend doesn't understand how dreads form -- hair needs to move around freely in order to tangle up, and it can't do that when it's coated with wax.

Hope that helps!
Ivan
@ivan
14 years ago
88 posts
wax=ouch.
Melanie2
@melanie2
14 years ago
99 posts
Because I did'nt know Soaring Eagle at the time I got my dreads and knew no better, I bought a Dreadhead HQ dreading kit and followed all their instructions with the wax, rubber bands and all that stuff. My advice is just stop using the wax...get some decent, non residual soap (Dr Bonner's is a good one although I have'nt tried it myself). Th sea water will actually be good for your dreads but not the pool water as people may have got in there with skin lotion, hair conditioner, sun cream and so on and it all floats about in there and gets in your hair, just as bad, if not worse than wax. I kept the rubber bands in for a few months but they disintegrate after a while. Dreads will lock up in their own good time, don't worry.
Iain
@iain
14 years ago
844 posts
at first i thought you meant they were falling off your head, i was likeO_o wthbut yes, the wax is bad, don't use it,however,DO keep going to the beach, it is the best thing you can do for your locks,your hair type (if im imaging it like some friends of mine since you have no picture) is a hair type that takes awhile to lock up,
Kellye
@kellye
14 years ago
91 posts
hahaha i thought that to!!!but i had stright blond hair when i started to dread but it changed once i dreaded it. my hiairs now brown. i backcombed an used wax for the first month i then fou nd this site and i think thats why my drreads have dreaded as much as they have. i <3 my bumpy loopy messy dreads Iain said:
at first i thought you meant they were falling off your head, i was like
O_o wthbut yes, the wax is bad, don't use it,however,DO keep going to the beach, it is the best thing you can do for your locks,your hair type (if im imaging it like some friends of mine since you have no picture) is a hair type that takes awhile to lock up,
rasata man vibrations
@rasata-man-vibrations
14 years ago
6 posts
hey so do i hav 2 roll my dreads now or do i just leave them to do there own thing?thanks heapsjah bless
Giuliano Pagano
@giuliano-pagano
14 years ago
55 posts
Yes, all the rumors are true.. Wax will make your hair fall out and you'll start to grow horns and on top of that your scalp will begin to melt and angels will cry.I suggest you ditch the wax, clean that gunk out of your hair and try to twist'n'rip the ones that are falling apart to start forming dreads again. Remember, time & patience = dreadlocks. :)
Vinny
@vinny
14 years ago
82 posts
If they are falling out I have to wonder how long s/he took to backcomb them and how tightly s/he did it. Its all gonna unravel to a certain degree but it depends heavily on your hair type and how well you were back combed. It'll dread no matter what though so it doesn't really matter in the long run. If i was you I would comb them out and get all the nasty wax out, then reattempt. If your not down to do that then just follow the advise these lovely folks have given you and stop using the wax while your still ahead.You can roll em if you want to but its not really necessary and its debatable whether or not it even helps at all. Also if you roll too much/too hard your dreads could just fall right off.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form