Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Does rasta/rastas mean dreads?

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts

Hey guys, so I was wondering if rasta or rastas mean dreads/locks/whatever in languages other than English, because I see a lot of photos of dreadlocks, ones that look extremely crocheted and some that are even synthetic and I see rasta or rasta in the photo tags which clearly makes no sense. So I'm not sure if this is just people *cough*whiterichteenagers*cough* pretending to be rasta just because they have dreads and smoke herb or if in some languages rasta/rastas means dreadlocks (which I do remember hearing something about)

updated by @jayke-watson: 01/13/15 09:58:43PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

in espanol rastas means dreads just like jata in india

however there are salons like rasta locs or marley studios claiming to create rasta dreads using crochet and wax

if its not a spanish or hispanic or argentinian then uea its probably a poser

however

there are some rastas..new to rastafarian culture that dread using wax or crochet not knowing any better just cause theres so much bad info stating that thats the way its done..no exceptions

rastas especialy young rastas fall for those traps just like anyone else

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

Well... Ras-Tafari.. That was Haile Selassie I's birth name.. Ras means duke/ruler/head of something, Tafari means "To be feared" if I am correct.. So really, there isn't that much significance.. other than Ras meaning Head lol. Much love and peace to you.

Jayke Watson
@jayke-watson
11 years ago
118 posts
Ahhh got it, it makes a lot more sense that it means dreads in Spanish, but that still leaves a lot of either posers, or people who are just misinformed of why rastas have dreads or what it is to be rasta, thanks for that SE. Haha yeah ND true that :P
Mahesa Wong Anabrang
@mahesa-wong-anabrang
11 years ago
16 posts

has a lot to do with Rastafarian-isme

Allison Ruthless
@allison-ruthless
11 years ago
19 posts

Are you using that as a pun? Rasta rejects isms and schisms, they are the opposite of inity(unity). Of course the topic of this thread, so far as I've seen, is just people deciding that dreads are synonymous with rasta, or wanting people who google rasta to see their dreads. Orrrr just plain posers lol.

Mahesa Wong Anabrang said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

i think that was a language barrier thing

and well the topic was partialy about the salon posers that claim to create "rasta locks:" with wax backcombing and crochet

but was mostly about the term rastas being used for dreads wich is the spanish word used for dreadlocks (coincidence maybe?) if you translate dreadlocks into spanish its rastas

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

just checked its las rastas

plural trenzas rastafari

so aparently in spanish dreadlocks and rastafarian mean the same thing

--
Allison Ruthless
@allison-ruthless
11 years ago
19 posts

That's awkward. I always refer to the old saying, "not every dread is a rasta.. not every rasta is a dread." Doesn't get much more true than that. I guess spanish people don't agree though.

Mahesa Wong Anabrang
@mahesa-wong-anabrang
11 years ago
16 posts

no , what i meant was the religion of Rastafari. The Rastafarian lifestyle usually includes ritual use of marijuana, avoidance of alcohol, the wearing of one's hair in " dreadlocks" , and vegetarianism.

One of the most visible practices of Rastafarians is the wearing of one's hair in dreadlocks . Dreadlocks have several purposes and layers of meaning for Rastafarians, including:

• the biblical command not to cut one's hair (Leviticus 21:5)
  • the appearance of the lion's mane, representing strength, Africa, Ethiopia, and the Lion of Judah
  • naturalness and simplicity, which are associated with Africa
  • the Rasta's roots in Africa

so apart from the spanish translation , i believe that the word "rasta" does not mean dreadlocks but is highly correlated with the Rastafarian way of life / culture. saying " those dreads are very rasta/rastafarian" is like seeing a girl wearing a hijab and saying that it looks very islamic.

peace ~

Allison Ruthless said:

Are you using that as a pun? Rasta rejects isms and schisms, they are the opposite of inity(unity). Of course the topic of this thread, so far as I've seen, is just people deciding that dreads are synonymous with rasta, or wanting people who google rasta to see their dreads. Orrrr just plain posers lol.

Mahesa Wong Anabrang said:

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form