dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How long should you rinse your hair?

Antoin
@antoin
11 years ago
6 posts

Hello,

I have been doing the neglect method for about a month now and using the Baking Soda wash method without the ACV rinse because I couldn't find it locally.

I have had no problems up until today where I had to scrub my scalp for about 50 minutes to get all of the build up of off my scalp. Does this seem excessive? And I am also unsure on if it is also OK to rub your scalp when rinsing. I usually let the Baking Soda soak for ten minutes and then rinse whilst scrubbing my scalp otherwise I am not able to get it all out.

I also am curious about rain. Is it fine to get your hair wet in the rain as long as it is dry before you go to bed?

Thanks, any help would be appreciated!

updated by @antoin: 01/13/15 09:57:30PM
Zachary Marpoe
@zachary-marpoe
11 years ago
8 posts

I have been doing my dread just shy of 2 months now and after reading and using a couple ways of cleaning my hair, i found just using a natural shampoo seems to be working the best for me. I dont have any problems with build up or anything like that. my hair is extremely clean and can feel it after shampooing my hair. i only do that about every 3-4 days and the days i dont shampoo i just rinse with water. With the rain situation i dont think it hurts giong to bed with hair a little damp wheres its mostly dry. i think its actually helps with the lock up process but maybe someone else knows more about that.

Antoin
@antoin
11 years ago
6 posts

What natural shampoo/soap would you recommend? And do you dilute it or use it as it is? Thanks.

Zachary Marpoe said:

I have been doing my dread just shy of 2 months now and after reading and using a couple ways of cleaning my hair, i found just using a natural shampoo seems to be working the best for me. I dont have any problems with build up or anything like that. my hair is extremely clean and can feel it after shampooing my hair. i only do that about every 3-4 days and the days i dont shampoo i just rinse with water. With the rain situation i dont think it hurts giong to bed with hair a little damp wheres its mostly dry. i think its actually helps with the lock up process but maybe someone else knows more about that.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ofcourse its fine to get it wet

but if your scrubbing the scalp at all it defeats the purpose of the baking soda wash

you shhould alwats do a vinager rince wether acv or white vinager

but if your scrubbing might as well use www.dreadlockshampoo.com

the bs should be a 1-10 ratio to avoid buildup thats 1 part bs to 10 parts water

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Zachary Marpoe
@zachary-marpoe
11 years ago
8 posts

I use Viki's lockin up shampoo. its about 20 dollars to have it delivered to your address and i use it as is. its pretty runny already and pours out almost like water. but get super foamy on the scalp. super cleans the hair. here is the website where i buy it from. http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2 . i have had the same bottle since day one. its about half way empty so it may seem expensive but itll last you a while

Antoin said:

What natural shampoo/soap would you recommend? And do you dilute it or use it as it is? Thanks.

Zachary Marpoe said:

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

note the shippings flat rate you can get 5 or 6 products in 1 box for same shipping fee add more and more to the cart till shipping goes up then remove 1 if u get the max at once shippings reasonable

--
Antoin
@antoin
11 years ago
6 posts

Thanks for the reply. The problem may be that I am using too much water and that would be causing the build up. During my next wash I will use a 1 - 10 ratio and hopefully I will see some improvements. I will start using the acv rinse too and hopefully that will also help.

soaring eagle said:

ofcourse its fine to get it wet

but if your scrubbing the scalp at all it defeats the purpose of the baking soda wash

you shhould alwats do a vinager rince wether acv or white vinager

but if your scrubbing might as well use www.dreadlockshampoo.com

the bs should be a 1-10 ratio to avoid buildup thats 1 part bs to 10 parts water

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yea thats the typical cause

when its too weak it only partialy exfoliates leaving a dead skin paste clinging to the scalp make it stronfger and it removes it fully

--
Zachary Tyler
@zachary-tyler
11 years ago
36 posts
I get build up also. This topic seems to be popping up more. The response is usually that your not using the right ratios. But fore I've followed all the guidelines and ratios here. I have hard water and have even boiled it and used bottled water with no noticeable change.
Linus
@linus
11 years ago
43 posts

I had the same problem with buildup for a long time. I just put a little bit more baking soda and let it sit for 20-30 minutes instead of 10 and the buildup was gone. Be sure the water hits the scalp with some pressure too.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form