Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tightening dreads at the roots

Olivia Alger
@olivia-alger
11 years ago
16 posts

I just have a question about how to keep dreads forming at the roots. i heard about a method called "latch hooking". this youtube video has the same idea with a tool, but i just do it with my fingers:

Is this a good way to keep your dreads growing tightly? I've heard good and bad things about this method...

I'd also love to hear how other people keep their dreads tight at the roots, thanks!

updated by @olivia-alger: 02/14/15 03:24:57AM
jedi dreads
@jedi-dreads
11 years ago
28 posts

no matter which method they will tighten on their own im sure doing that would be a bad idea

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

do not do that! they tighten themselves at the roots exactly as tight as they should be in the 1st year that should be very loose 2nd year and on they will tughten to 1/2 an inch

they never should be ny tighter then where thy stop tightening on thier own

u force them to be too tight and u will end up bald

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tara C
@tara-c
11 years ago
644 posts

Forcing tightness will cause itching and possible headaches depending on how tight, where about on your head, etc. Forcing it doesn't work, they'll tighten up on their own as they get mature.

CoriElaine
@corielaine
11 years ago
173 posts

All of thee above is true :D ALSO ...Keep a big ol' cup in your tub, after you shower turn it so just your tub faucet is going, put it as cold as it will go, fill your cup and bend over, as you pour move your locs around. I do this every time im done showering [I use a cup because my hair is long and will go down the drain, but if yours is short just stick it under.] I like to start at the back of my head; back middle, both sides, and then i do the front, not that the order matters, but then no cold water goes down my back >_> It makes my dreadies feel good an tight with out doin any harm :D Hope this helps ya!

Olivia Alger
@olivia-alger
11 years ago
16 posts

awesome! thanks so much everyone!

Olivia Alger
@olivia-alger
11 years ago
16 posts

thanks so much for this advice! i'll have to try this out :)

CoriElaine said:

All of thee above is true :D ALSO ...Keep a big ol' cup in your tub, after you shower turn it so just your tub faucet is going, put it as cold as it will go, fill your cup and bend over, as you pour move your locs around. I do this every time im done showering [I use a cup because my hair is long and will go down the drain, but if yours is short just stick it under.] I like to start at the back of my head; back middle, both sides, and then i do the front, not that the order matters, but then no cold water goes down my back >_> It makes my dreadies feel good an tight with out doin any harm :D Hope this helps ya!

Olivia Alger
@olivia-alger
11 years ago
16 posts

also, have any of you ever used salt water on your dreads to help them tighten up? i heard that sea water specifically is good for them

Olivia Alger
@olivia-alger
11 years ago
16 posts

Tara, i have experienced itching as a result of this. do you know of any products that help itching?

Tara C said

Forcing tightness will cause itching and possible headaches depending on how tight, where about on your head, etc. Forcing it doesn't work, they'll tighten up on their own as they get mature.

Ojas Acharya
@ojas-acharya
11 years ago
172 posts

Hello, you would rather leave the roots alone... Give them time and they will tighten up on their own. If your locks are tight all the way to the scalp its not a very good thing becos it might put strain on your scalp and may hurt you. 1-1/2 inch loose roots is actually a good thing.

Stop doing what you are, that could be the first step to avoid the itching. It might ease out automatically in a few days. If it continues try massaging your scalp. Blood circulation and nourishment can keep the scalp happy. I had a very sore scalp a few days back... I massaged my head with essential oils mixed in jojoba and i feel nothing any more. Good luck :)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form