Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Henna Dye

Kat5
@kat5
11 years ago
9 posts

well, I've been going strong for almost 6 months now- got some great growth and locks. Loving it in general- except for the fact that I have noticed my gray hairs sneaking in at an alarming rate- I've always shied away from using chemical hair dies in the past due to irritation- but now I am wondering if I could use Henna dye on my locks and not damage them.

Has anyone here ever henna'd their hair successfully with dreadlocks or am I taking a bigger risk with them becoming saturated with oils and setting my progress back?

thanks for the tips

<3

updated by @kat5: 01/13/15 09:57:12PM
Kat5
@kat5
11 years ago
9 posts

guess i might have to get used to the grey- can't do chemical anymore, and I don't want to have pigment stuck in my hair for who knows how long...maybe I can keep plucking the loose ones out... :P

love and light

Ixchel
@ixchel
11 years ago
597 posts

check out henna for hair for more information on henna color, it gives the basics of henna & even a photo gallery of mixes so you can see the different results on different hair (& i always order my henna from them too)

it is very conditioning, i did mine prior to dreading & although my progress probably would have been slow because of my hair type I do think it was much slower because of the henna, if you look at my photos most of what was colored with henna is still mostly unknotted, it's my new (undyed) growth that has dreaded.

if you do do it i'd wait until you dreads are mostly knotted (possibly mature) & don't squeeze the paste into your dreads, just paint the outside & be sure to rinse rinse rinse!

Snilla
@snilla
11 years ago
9 posts

I dye my dreads with henna (16 months going with neglect). It's a time consuming process and you will need ALOT of patience both during application of the paste onto your dreads and while rinsing it out in the shower.

Henna makes my dreads feel very soft after a treatment but not loose (which even if it did I wouldn't really care about it...) but everyones hair is different and henna MIGHT prolong the dreadingprocess for YOU.

On a personal note, I can't wait for my gray hairs, I think dreads with gray hairs looks stunning!

Kat5
@kat5
11 years ago
9 posts

I will take all this into consideration- I am on the fence about my greys- while they are AWESOME- I'm going grey like a skunk, which isn't as awesome. I figure I'll let my dreads mature a few more months, and then reconsider what is best.

Though, I will check into the copper deficiency with my doctor first chance I get!

Melony
@melony
11 years ago
45 posts

Have you tried any veggie dyes?
They wash out relatively quickly,but the color is really vibrant and pretty for a few weeks. Plusthe dye is not at all damaging to hair.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form