Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

looking for some help with new dreads

PJ
@pj
14 years ago
11 posts
Hi everyone, I'm looking for a bit of guidance with my new dreads. I just had my hair twisted two weeks ago and I'm ready to wash. I think I'm gonna use the baking soda method seeing as I don't want to mess up my newbies and this seems like the best way not to do that. I put rubber bands at the root but I'm nervous that they are gonna press down the dread( washed once before and my first twist came out, thats why I did the bands this time) and make them thin. If anyone has any advice for a nervous newbie on washing or twisting techniques or if i should ditch the rubber bands I would appreciate it.
updated by @pj: 02/14/15 06:18:14AM
Ivan
@ivan
14 years ago
88 posts
ditch the rubberbands for sure bro. i made the mistake in leaving them in and once i backcombed, i had to first comb out all this nasty shit and clumps of pulled out hair (yea the rubberbands pull a lot of hair out at the root as it grows). so i was combing out balls of hair and nasty residue: probably dirt and grease build-up. but i gave myself a good washing and it all came out. now i'm rubberband-free and it's so much better and cleaner too. good luck with your method and hope the advice helped.
PJ
@pj
14 years ago
11 posts
thanks I'm getting rid of the rubber bands asap. thanks for the advice. Ivan said:
ditch the rubberbands for sure bro. i made the mistake in leaving them in and once i backcombed, i had to first comb out all this nasty shit and clumps of pulled out hair (yea the rubberbands pull a lot of hair out at the root as it grows). so i was combing out balls of hair and nasty residue: probably dirt and grease build-up. but i gave myself a good washing and it all came out. now i'm rubberband-free and it's so much better and cleaner too. good luck with your method and hope the advice helped.
Ivan
@ivan
14 years ago
88 posts
no problem, lmk if you have any more questions dude. PJ said:
thanks I'm getting rid of the rubber bands asap. thanks for the advice.

Ivan said:
Lonnie Berg
@lonnie-berg
14 years ago
219 posts
Yeah, definately get rid of the rubber bands, then do the baking soda soak/wash and an ACV rinse. Other than just water its the kindest, most gentle and Earth Friendly way to clean your hair and it fels soooo good. Wash as often as you feel a need to, 2 or 3 times a week is OK, your hair wants to be clean and loved, namaste' Ivan said:
no problem, lmk if you have any more questions dude.

PJ said:
thanks I'm getting rid of the rubber bands asap. thanks for the advice.

Ivan said:
PJ
@pj
14 years ago
11 posts
just the info I was looking for, thanks guys. What's a good amount of ACV to use? Do I dilute it with water first or do I just pour It right on?
Lonnie Berg
@lonnie-berg
14 years ago
219 posts
You dont need much ACV at all, I use a splash/ maybe 2 capfulls to a quart of water, pour it on and let sit a minute or two then rinse. Basically the acidity of ACV restores the PH balance to your hair and scalp.
Steph
@steph
14 years ago
16 posts
When i got my dreads i was told it was fine to wash, just not condition, I use normal anti dandruff shampoo twice a week because I found my dreads gave me dandruff which I never had before (possibly because of the cold weather and unusual scalp exposure). I haven't had any issues, just find they feel a bit stiff first few hours after washing.
GratefulNick
@gratefulnick
14 years ago
155 posts
Sometimes baking soda if used to much can dry out your scalp, or depending how old your dreads are it could be your scalp adjusting to the change from straight hair to dreads. I like to atleast do a Apple Cider Vinnagar rinse usual once a month but sometimes I forget but eh! whatever. ACV burns if your get it in your eyes, I usual dilute it with water half bottle, but gets rid of baking soda residue/ soap residue, plus it makes your scalp feel like it was reborn. I had something to say but I forgot. crap
PJ
@pj
14 years ago
11 posts
Just washed using the baking soda and then an ACV rinse, not too much though. Head feels great and the dreads are looking good. Should I re-twist now?
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form