Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hair elastic alternatives?

Kimberly Eve
@kimberly-eve
11 years ago
59 posts
My locs are thickening up quite a bit now and an elastic isn't really fitting around them well anymore. It is in the 90s here amid we don't have AC so them always being down isn't an option.What else could I use to pull them back? Don't say a tam. Too hot for that right now :)
updated by @kimberly-eve: 01/13/15 09:56:21PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

your dreads u should never use elastics!

and a tam will keep u cooler by keeping them up off your neck

but just use your dreads to tie your dreads and never use elastics

tho those wide slightly elastic hairbands that will firt over your head are ok cause they are cloth covered and not very tight

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

I use shoe laces which come in all colours, just tie loosely around your dreads and the texture keeps them in place, I use an extra long one and wrap it around 2 or 3 times. Go to the thrift store and look for necklaces on black type of rope, long enough to be folded in half and wrap around your dreads loosely, then slip the pendant or medallion through the loop and viola, you have tied them up and decorated them at the same time. Use a bandana to tie them. Your imagination is the only thing that will hold you back. Whatever you use, remember not to tie them up tightly to avoid stress in your dreads. Best to avoid things with elastic unless you make a loose one yourself using thick elastic material like the kind found at the top of guys boxers (sorry, did not know how else to explain that one). So, look around your house, use your imagination and have fun with your dreads....peace

Sweet,
@sweet
11 years ago
133 posts

If you can find smone who either knits or crochet, or if you can do either then just do a long strip but about an inch and half wide. I do a stip of either woolen or even hemp and then sew a wooden button which is cut from a branch and 2 holes drilled in, it looks so awsome with the dreads. If i can find the picture of it amongst my 100's of pics i will add it here.

If you r intersted and would like one, just leave me a message and i can post you one, i do the craft and have many colours of wool to choose from.

updated by @sweet: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Snilla
@snilla
11 years ago
9 posts

A cheap way to gain some hairbands that I use is to cut old socks into bands and a good way to recycle socks with holes in them anyways...

Shannan2
@shannan2
10 years ago
3 posts

These are stunning! Do you sell them somewhere? I would be interested.. Namaste.. _/|\_

Sweet, said:

If you can find smone who either knits or crochet, or if you can do either then just do a long strip but about an inch and half wide. I do a stip of either woolen or even hemp and then sew a wooden button which is cut from a branch and 2 holes drilled in, it looks so awsome with the dreads. If i can find the picture of it amongst my 100's of pics i will add it here.

If you r intersted and would like one, just leave me a message and i can post you one, i do the craft and have many colours of wool to choose from.

updated by @shannan2: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Earth Rose
@earth-rose
10 years ago
38 posts

I just use a cotton/spandex headband as a giant hair tie. Simple!

Ixchel
@ixchel
10 years ago
597 posts

a ribbon or scrap of fabric to tie them up or back, use them to tie themselves up. youtube is great for dread updo ideas

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form