dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shampoo Advice UK

Emily Storey
@emily-storey
11 years ago
12 posts

Heyyy

I've been using Lush shampoo bars to care for my dreads up until recently, until I heard that they aren't really suitable or recommended. I live between Preston (north west) and London, UK and I'm looking for a place to buy nature dreadlock products such as shampoo and Aloe (that stuff you can use to make them appear neater, since I have a wedding to go to soon!). I've seen the online store here but most things seem to be shipped from the US and I can't really wait that long, plus it'd be nice to avoid the shipping costs if possible.

Also any shampoo recommendations would be greatly appreciated, since I'm still quite a newbie!

Thanks guys and peace x

updated by @emily-storey: 11/18/15 02:22:35PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hi Emily. Did you join the UK group at all, 88 members from where you live would be able to help you out. I am here in Canada myself...here is the link just in case I never gave it to you: http://www.dreadlockssite.com/group/ukdreadlocks

I am sure that a few on there will have purchasing tips for you...peace

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,639 posts

aloe buy a plant any garden center shampoos your best off getting the dreadlockshampoo.com ones but there are some from uk look thru the shops again theres 1 newer 1 from uk..tho its nit all that natural and containes sls

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
11 years ago
91 posts

Hey I live in Bath! Yeh there isn't too much choice in the shops for us over here that i've found. I too used the Seanik lush bar for around 3 months I found after a while it left resudue and didnt seem to help with the locking. BS/ACV works ok but i always have to boil the water 1st. for most of my dreading I've been using Faith in Nature Shampoo! Im pretty sure you can buy it in most chemists or maybe even asda or telco. Its like 5 a bottle. I use a tablespoon diluted in a 1Ltr of water and add 10ish drops of tea tree. I started this when my dreads we're really young and the habits stuck. It works great, no resudue and no SLS which the lush bars do have! Maybe give it a try I use the rosemary one so its def more herby than fruity but i know there is a tea tree one too. Dr bronners doesnt work well with our water over here! It will feel real sudsy.

Katfish84
@katfish84
7 years ago
8 posts

I'm UK bound also, new into this journey and have been attempting to look up options when it comes to washing. I'd love to buy from dreadlockshampoo but cannot afford the shipping cost sadly, so am wondering what alternatives I can work with here. I use faith in nature shampoos as a standard so will conline with that and see how it goes :)

Katfish84
@katfish84
7 years ago
8 posts

Any one have any opinions on this product and chemical format?

http://www.dreadsuk.com/dreads-uk-shampoo.htm

Ingredients: Aqua, Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate, Cocamidopropyl Beltane, Coconut Diethanolamide, Polyquaternium-7, Silicone Quaternium-22, PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Triolate, Propylene Glycol, Phenoxyethanol

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,639 posts

that site ssuks (it says so in the domain) the owner of the sites  the biggest scumbag there is (he goes out of his way to destroty lives  or try to force people to turn over their content if they either block him from spamming or have a site offering difereng opinions I WOULD NEVER GIVE THAT SITE A CENT

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,639 posts

besides compare those nasty ingredients to dreadlockshampoo

i would never wash with that or alow it near my body

dr bronners is an option unless you have hard water

uk water kinda sux cause it tends to be both hard and alkeline

if its moderately hard or hardr would either recommend bronners with a shower head (or whole house) filter 

you can add a lil borax (not sure how much..and just something i heard but never tried) to make bronners work in hard water

--
Katfish84
@katfish84
7 years ago
8 posts

Borax is no longer available on the uk market due to its mild toxicity... even with a the 'borax sustiutate' it's adviseable it doesn't come in contact the with you skin. I believe it is suggested that borates in themselves have an ability to leave leave a residue still as borates are not entirely water soluble..

Bronners- I've been reading mixed reviews about using it on dreads  utility if you have to then heavily dilute...

I think the only way to over come residue build up due to hard water is periodic Apple Cider Vinegar Rinses. But I am lucky living in the South West as the water is soft here...

Yeah that ingredients mix doesn't look so great now looking closer at...

Aqua- Water, 

Ammonium Lauryl Sulphate - (an ALS not an SLS or SLES technically, I gues this is how they can market it as containing 'No SLS/SLES or parabens'...??? Does it make it any better than them... my thinking is perhaps no...

Cocamidopropyl Beltane - derive/ originates from coconuts. Deemed 'safe' could be considered sidereal natural, known to cause irritation...

Coconut Diethanolamide - Coconut once more, used to make the product foam, diethanolamine is the stabaliser.. in some can cause irritation.

Polyquaternium-7 - this is how theyou keep frizz to a minimum... possibly linked to demetitis issues...

Silicone Quaternium-22 - used for conditioning purposes, no linked effects yet...

PEG-120 Methyl Glucose Triolate - links to cancer...

Propylene Glycol - toxic effects dependant on grade and level of contact with product... 

Phenoxyethanol - can cause allergic reactions with the skin...

Oh this leaves me no closer on what to wash my hair with????. Haha

Katfish84
@katfish84
7 years ago
8 posts

I used faith in nature yesterday, usually it dries my hair out unless I condition. Yesterday it left it fluffy and soft ☆slaps forehead☆ haha

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form